Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door Slamming Apartments

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I wasn't able to open your pdf document.

However, one problem with some apartment doors is that they have an automatic closing device (in case of fire?) which can close a door with quite a bang. Such a door requires a concerted effort (and attention) to prevent it slamming shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 The_Irish_Dave

Yeah well you have arms to not let it slam that hard in that case. Most of the time it's their own apartment doors. Try it now. I uploaded a new one. I can open it fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

odds_on wrote: »
    However, one problem with some apartment doors is that they have an automatic closing device (in case of fire?) which can close a door with quite a bang. Such a door requires a concerted effort (and attention) to prevent it slamming shut.

We had those things. If I run out without thinking I'm halfway down the stairs and hear a bang from behind me...
    I removed the automatic door slammers but not before the handles were knackered and had to be re-affixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭ted1

We had those things. If I run out without thinking I'm halfway down the stairs and hear a bang from behind me...
    I removed the automatic door slammers but not before the handles were knackered and had to be re-affixed.

so your breach fire regulations, and alos proably voided the insurance on the building

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

I made this easy to follow guide on how to close a door for people who are sick of listening to doors being slammed in apartment blocks. Stick it on the notice board in the hallway or under the doors of the door slammers. Maybe they might read it and learn something.

http://pdfcast.org/pdf/how-to-close-a-door-1

I feel your pain, because I personally can't stand doors slamming all the day, whether it is an apartment building or a smaller estate with (semi) detached houses. It doesn't change a bit that your neighbors are Irish, Spanish, Chinese, Italian, Indian of aliens from the eight dimension, people simply don't f***ing care about that. If that door slamming doesn't bother them, which are the ones closest to the noise source, don't expect your explanations get very far with them.

There are times when doors close so hard that it is even bad for the doors, but people simply don't care. I DO care, and haven't found any single door, no matter how strong the springs or hinges are, which has managed to slam at all if I pay attention to follow the door to make sure it doesn't bang hard.

At my current place I spent quite a while investigating how to "reconfigure" the doors' hinges, as they were set for "killing closing strength". Now doors close smoothly and there is no risk of anyone being split in half due to a massive door closing at light speeds.

However, I seem to be the only one under the sun that cares. If you ever approach anyone and tell them off or gently request them to pay more attention and be more careful, you can get a variety of responses ranging from ignoring you to "who the hell are you to tell me what to do at my own house?".

• Advertisement
Advertisement