Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desire HD not getting ICS

Options
  • 22-07-2012 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.talkandroid.com/123620-htc-desire-hd-not-getting-an-ics-update-after-all/
    After all the confusion on whether the HTC Desire HD will be getting an update to Android 4.0 or not, we finally have a solid answer from HTC. It’s now official that the HTC Desire HD will not be getting the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update. The manufacturer has said that the HTC Desire has the best software experience possible for it’s current hardware on Android 2.3. Here’s the companies full statement:
    “After extensive testing, HTC has determined that the current version of HTC Sense with Android provides customers with the best experience on the HTC Desire HD. When we consider new versions of software, we weigh a number of factors, but ultimately the customer experience on the product is the deciding factor. We apologize for any confusion this change may have caused our customers.”

Before I got my One X, I had ICS running perfectly on my DHD, and it was smoother and faster than GB. I don't know why they've pulled out of this to be honest. To focus on new phones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

This is exactly the same way Sony ditched the Xperia Play. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

because you bought the one x.

why spend money developing for a phone they've already made their money on? Selling you a new one makes them much more money.

the desireHD is so scarce anyway outside of the internet you'd be lucky to find one in a bricks and mortar retailer. they have nothing to gain. they had to develop for it earlier cause there were a few kinks that needed ironing out, but gb is pretty stable as far as I remember.

I'm running an OC no script++ revolution ROM and couldn't be happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The ICS builds I tried on the Desire HD were good, but the camera and HD video were still too glitchy. What build were you using Mr E?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Can't remember, Damo. While it was a fine ROM for day to day use, the camera was glitchy, and the on-screen text could go corrupt now and again (which required a reboot to fix).

Before I sold it, I set it back to Gingerbread.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So I saw today, which is a bit irritating.
    Having said that : how much will it matter for the next year? According to the Android dev site, 63% of users are still on Gingerbread and only 12% or so are on ICS+. I doubt developers are going to abandon the majority of their market just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Im truly disgusted by this. I paid 500euros for the phone 19 months ago and theyve stopped supporting it. Its clearly capable hardware wise, so its obviously purely a marketing decision. Although Im sure I will be in the minority, I will NEVER buy another HTC device again because of this. Ive been buying their devices as far back as the SPV which was sold by Orange in the UK. I dont think Orange operate in Ireland, so maybe you guys never saw that phone. I still have 2 of them, and the SPV E200 that came after it.

Ive been checking every few days for months now for news on this. At first they stated it wasnt going to be upgraded, then a few days later HTC said they were going to do it, then a few days later they backtrack on that again!

This is the same situation Im on with my Motorola Xoom, checking daily. Apparently ICS has been launched in Europe, yet when I check for a system update, its still not available for an OTA upgrade. I cant be bothered Rooting my devices, I want reliability more than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They all do this, once a phone goes over a year they seem to drop slowly support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Im truly disgusted by this. I paid 500euros for the phone 19 months ago and theyve stopped supporting it. Its clearly capable hardware wise, so its obviously purely a marketing decision. Although Im sure I will be in the minority, I will NEVER buy another HTC device again because of this. Ive been buying their devices as far back as the SPV which was sold by Orange in the UK. I dont think Orange operate in Ireland, so maybe you guys never saw that phone. I still have 2 of them, and the SPV E200 that came after it.

Ive been checking every few days for months now for news on this. At first they stated it wasnt going to be upgraded, then a few days later HTC said they were going to do it, then a few days later they backtrack on that again!

This is the same situation Im on with my Motorola Xoom, checking daily. Apparently ICS has been launched in Europe, yet when I check for a system update, its still not available for an OTA upgrade. I cant be bothered Rooting my devices, I want reliability more than anything else.

I had a regular desire and was quite pissed off that it wasn't going to get gingerbread. The next phone I bought was a Nexus, if updates are really important to you I suggest the next device you buy should be some kind of Nexus device

I just spoke with HTC on their webchat and they confirmed it wont be released. I clearly informed them how disgusted I am at this decision. I asked them to check how long was left of my warranty. (2 years for all HTC phones) I was informed it was until 21/4/2013 and that if I decided to ROOT my device then I would void that warranty. I explained that I had paid top price for a newly released phone and asked how it could be possible that such a premium product would lose its updates well before the warranty would run out. I asked if they would be happy to be shortchanged in this way?

Of course the people on webchat dont have any authority, but I just wanted to vent. So I filled out a survey after that chat just to moan some more.

The decision now is whether or not to ROOT my device. Im very hesitant as I need to use my camera for scanning documents everyday at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭username?!

All HTC have a 2 year warranty?!

• Advertisement

username?! wrote: »
    All HTC have a 2 year warranty?!

Thats what she told me. I certainly never paid for any extra warranty and I have 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

Unfortunately this seems to be the way companies are going. HTC, Samsung etc release phones on such a regular basis now they can't be bother supporting any tech that is 12 months+ old. Only way to go is the Nexus route if you want regular updates.
    Even bloody Apple aren't releasing iOS 6 for my original iPad, gits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Agh, have only just copped that my DHD won't be getting ICS :mad:.

I intend upgrading to the One X, but at €500+ it'll have to be a Christmas present. In the meantime, can someone suggest an up-to-date stable rom for someone who's never rooted a phone before?

Advertisement