Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where should we go in southeast asia?

Options
  • 21-07-2012 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

i realise that this is a really general question to ask but i plan on going to southeast asia with a friend for 9 weeks from october to december. before booking our flights to and from we want to work out where we want to go, but to be honest, i dont even know where to begin!! does anyone have any advise on any places we should go and what we should do there? or alternatively any places we should avoid? were both female and 23 years old, so we're looking to see the sites and do activities during the day, but have a bit of fun in the evenings as well!

im also trying to work out what the story with visas is as well, is there one that we can get for all SE Asia or do we need to get one for each country we visit, or seeing as we'll only be in each country for one or two weeks at a time, do you think we will need to apply for them at all?

any opinions or advise would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

Here, I found website that should help with your visa questions..
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=visa+requirements+south+east+asia

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hammyham

thanks a mil, that page is really helpful. i was actually looking at this website last night for ideas on where to go but didnt see the visa requirements bit at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Hi, if I was you I'd fly into bangkok( right s##thole and over rated) spend 1-2 days there get your bearings. Head for ko Chang(beautiful island) by bus spend few days hereand onto Cambodia by bus again, phnom penh Capitol city worth a few days of your time, if you want more beach time head south to sihanoukville or head north to Siem reap(fantastic ruins massive temple complex) by boat, get a cheap flight from there to ho chi Minh(fantastic city) in Vietnam from here there is so many tours you can take, head up along the coast of Vietnam by bus or train, stop at nha trang lovely beach and tours head upto hoi an it's one of the nicest towns in Vietnam, by train upto Hanoi and from there to Halong bay fantastic and Sapa in the mountains!!! From Vietnam into Laos Luang prabang another lovely city you can go hiking white water rafting loads of adventure to be had!!! From there head back over into Thailand to Chang mai another nice city. Hope this gives you a bit of help.

Thailand is cheap enough once you get out of Bangkok, cambodia Vietnam and Laos are really cheap, once you eat on the street or in cafes you'll save loads.

You can get your visa for Thailand by the Thai embassy in Dublin, for Cambodia you can soft it out at the border, Vietnam Visa can be sorted out in phnom penh and with laos sort it out in Vietnam. Make sure you apply for a multiple entry visa for Thailand. You'll have a ball and have a great trip.

You get the visa for Thailand on arrival in Bangkok.. Don't need it beforehand.
    You can get the Vietnam visa online if you fly into the country, otherwise get it in Vientiane, Laos or Phnon Penh / Sihanoukville in Cambodia.
    Every other country is on arrival except for Burma which you can do in Bangkok and the Sri Lanka visa (cheap flight from Bangkok so easily done as part of SE Asia) is online.
    If you goto the Philippines, you need a return flight within 21 days of entering but the Visa is on arrival.

Bangkok is an amazing city.. Give it a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

Don't miss the Angkor temples near Siem Reap in Cambodia, one of the great sites in the world in my opinion. Vietnam is also a great country and deserves at least 2-3 weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement