Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Sound & Picture issues

Options
  • 21-07-2012 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi guys

Just want to ask a quick one for anyone who has seen the film. I saw the Dark Knight Rises on Friday at 15:20 in Vue cinema in Liffey Valley. I was sitting in the back row of screen 2.

My problem was that the sound was disgraceful! The soundtrack was far too loud and completely drowned out the dialogue of ALL the characters.

I had to strain myself to actually hear what the characters were saying and I would honestly say that I had to do this for about 85% of the film. Basically, anytime the soundtrack was playing!

It completely ruined the film for myself and my girlfriend! We did speak with the manager afterwards who gave us a full refund, but his explanation was that the film was meant to be like this, which I highly doubt!

I also doubt that it was simply because I was up the back and closer to the speakers as I have never had this problem with Vue cinemas before!

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else noticed this or has had this problem?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

At my Vue screening the speakers were buzzing and clearly struggling with the sound. Also the picture was very dark. I strongly suspect they forgot to take the 3D filter off the projector. It wouldn't be the first time either. Overall I thought the presentation was very poor at Vue. This is why you need projectionists.

Does anyone know anywhere that is showing it in 35mm?

When I saw it last night, I found it near-impossible to make out precisely what Bane was saying sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 damo3000

you're right actually, my screening was pretty dark too, however I was so concerned with not being able to hear the dialogue that I brushed it over.

@boneyarse for us, it wasn't just bane we couldn't hear, it was every single character. We couldn't hear probably 85% of the dialogue at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Seems to be a problem looking around the internet that it's fine in some places and really bad in others.

I saw it in the Omniplex in Galway yesterday and there was no problem. Dialogue was very clear. The score is loud but I think that's just the way it's mixed. Same everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

From the first line it was very obvious it was dubbed. And it wasn't done brilliantly.

I understood the important things he said, not everything though. It won't take anything away from the film for me though, it was a minor issue which should be forgotten when looking at the entire movie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Funny that you mention that, i saw it in vue yesterday at 4.20, screen 1, we all commented that it looked too dark and probably not the way it was supposed to.
    The sound too was off in my opinion. The whole bane thing, Nolan had said he didn't want people to fully understand what bane said at times so i wouldn't worry about that but the musical score was definitely drowning out the dialogue at different stages.
    There was also something rattling in the top left corner of the cinema when the bass was blaring, a bit annoying.

All in all it didn't ruin my viewing of it but as a first trip to vue it might make me not go back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't think all of Hardy's dialogue was looped. Nolan likes to use production sound where possible. But the IMAX cameras are very loud and lot of those scenes had to be ADR'd. Not just Hardy, all of the actors. The issue with Bane's dialogue is a combination of the accent, his lips being covered, the sound mix and the fact that he is clearly is trying make the voice stand out from Bane's physical movements. Nolan has talked about this in interviews. It was Hardy's choice to do it like this. If it seems weird, that's the point.

Anyway, I'm probably going to make a written complaint to Vue about the lousy picture presentation at my screening. There's no way the film was meant to be that dark. I don't miss all the problems that used to go with 35mm screenings, but at least there was usually a projectionist nearby who knew what the f**k he was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

Watched this in the cinema in Balbriggan last night, sound was poor and picture was god-awful. Washed out and dull, it made that first slow hour even worse!

Going to see it again, any recommendations as to where? Dublin/Meath/Louth preferably. Good screen and sound a must!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭bossa_nova

I saw it screen 2 last night and was a bit annoyed at how their speakers where struggling and buzzing a good few times during it,

And the fecking place was like a sauna too which was way worse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,116 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Does anyone know anywhere that is showing it in 35mm?

IMC Dun Laoghaire usually has the smaller screens showing 35mm prints. Saw Amazing Spiderman 35mm there, which was weird. Unfortunately, they tend to be the ****ter screens, especially in terms of sound.

Had no picture problems myself. The sound mix has a few misjudged moments, certainly more than should have gotten through. That is solely the fault of the filmmakers, although can imagine it being extra irritating on a poor sound system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

i struggled to hear a lot of it last night in vue in screen 2 . Think ill have to go see it again in Cineworld ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Saw it in Screen 2 at Liffey Valley at 10.40 last night as well. was sitting near the back at the side, the music was so much louder than the dialogue and was very very hard to hear certain things.

It kind of took away from the experience.I was straining to hear the dialogue at times which takes away from the enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

I've being shocked at how many problems with sound and picture are being experienced.

Savoy screen one no issues with sound or dialogue, I wasn't sitting in a optimal seat close to the front and over to the right of the screen.
    Bane was hard to understand from time to time, but I expected this.

It appears vue seems to be the worst.

Music is loud but as it is in all the movies, but nothing was being drowned out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I left a post on Vues Facebook complaining about the sound . Comment on It if yous can . See what they say

damo3000 wrote: »
    you're right actually, my screening was pretty dark too, however I was so concerned with not being able to hear the dialogue that I brushed it over.

@boneyarse for us, it wasn't just bane we couldn't hear, it was every single character. We couldn't hear probably 85% of the dialogue at all!

Funny enough Bane was as hard/easy as anyone to understand I thought. The sound mix was just terrible where I was, it was like a TV Movie where everytime somebody is about to say something a bit of music starts playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

I saw it in the Lighthouse last night and didn't experience any sound or picture issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

We had the same problems in Savoy 1 show last night. Couldnt hear 50% of what Bane was saying. It seems like they rushed production to get it out. Hopefully on bluray it wil be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Same as! I saw it in Westport cineplex last night and the front left and right when music was playing (almost the entire bloody film????) or guns firing COMPLEEETLY drowned everything out! There was no definition in audio you could have heard better balance from a 2.1 sound system, disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

I too felt the picture was a bit on the dark side. I noticed no sound issues though

I too felt the picture was a bit on the dark side. I noticed no sound issues though
    Was this in Vue?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I saw it in Blanchardstown today and I noticed the same thing with the sound. The soundtrack was really loud. Bane was inaudible for a lot of the film too. I didn't notice any problems with the picture though.

I saw it in Blanch on Friday and the audio was perfect, I sat near the back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Saw it in the Eye cinema, sound was waaay too high and just drowned the dialogue frequently.

Picture was fine for the most part except at dark areas in certain scenes where there was a greenish tint to the blackness. Like you were watching it on a monitor, most notable when there was a close up of Bane as Bruce Wayne woke up in The Pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

So where IS good to see it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Coolock Odeon, no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Saw it in Vue Liffey Valley on screen 1 last night. There's a bit when the camera is panning around Batman as he stands on top of a bridge and the music gets really loud. The speakers were screeching!
    But you know what, I had the same issues with TDK. We came out of that film with the exact same sound issues and that was years ago. It wasn't until I got it on dvd that I fell in love with the film because I could hear every bit of it and enjoy the thumping soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Saw this earlier today in Showtime, Limerick - easily the best cinema-going experience I've had in this country in terms of both sound and projection. Both were crisp & clear....the sound was pitch perfect for me.

re: Bane's dialogue - I would say there were 2-3 instances where I wasn't 100% clear on what exactly he was saying but this was down to the production rather than the cinema

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Saw this earlier today in Showtime, Limerick - easily the best cinema-going experience I've had in this country in terms of both sound and projection. Both were crisp & clear....the sound was pitch perfect for me.

re: Bane's dialogue - I would say there were 2-3 instances where I wasn't 100% clear on what exactly he was saying but this was down to the production rather than the cinema

I saw it at Showtime yesterday and the sound mix was a little off for me. I was on the 2nd row from the front on the right hand side so I presume it was because I was so close to the front right speaker. Hope to see it again tomorrow and get a decent seat this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Don't watch it in Kilkenny.The screen is so small the top, bottom and sides of the picture actually ends up on the wall (About half a foot each direction on an already small screen). The picture was fuzzy and there were dust spots everywhere too. Surprisingly the sound was alright. I could understand everything Bane said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TheHopeful

jamc wrote: »
    Seems to be a problem looking around the internet that it's fine in some places and really bad in others.

I saw it in the Omniplex in Galway yesterday and there was no problem. Dialogue was very clear. The score is loud but I think that's just the way it's mixed. Same everywhere

I saw this in the Omniplex in Galway on Friday evening too, and found that a lot of what Bane said was inaudible. My girlfriend thought the same.

Advertisement