Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rust pimples? If so, how?

Options
  • 20-07-2012 11:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Well working in the area of the nearside headlamp of the Saab today I was kinda disturbed to notice minute little bumps in the paint, in areas where there was no rust. I duly rubbed down a few of these with sandpaper out of curiousity, and found not rust but small dark 'blotches' underneath.

I know some of ye will have done cars back to bare metal, so can anyone explain? I'm thinking either there's breakage in the paint so minute that I can't see it / them, or else impurities in the metal are coming through? The car is only 22 yrs. old, granted a UK import, but most of the rust I've found to date (and there's a lot!) has been surface rust.

Thanks,

Tony.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

ahal wrote: »
    Hi all,

Well working in the area of the nearside headlamp of the Saab today I was kinda disturbed to notice minute little bumps in the paint, in areas where there was no rust. I duly rubbed down a few of these with sandpaper out of curiousity, and found not rust but small dark 'blotches' underneath.

I know some of ye will have done cars back to bare metal, so can anyone explain? I'm thinking either there's breakage in the paint so minute that I can't see it / them, or else impurities in the metal are coming through? The car is only 22 yrs. old, granted a UK import, but most of the rust I've found to date (and there's a lot!) has been surface rust.

Thanks,

Tony.

Is it possible this area of the car may have been repainted in the past?
    If so perhaps it was not prepared properly.
    The solution may be to prepare this area and respray it.
    What do you think?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

Seems plausable actually. The only thing that got me curious was that an owner at some point in the past did the dumbest rattlecan touch ups you ever saw ... spraying wiring looms, the lot ... but there are professional looking dumb touch ups too in fairness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

ahal wrote: »
    Seems plausable actually. The only thing that got me curious was that an owner at some point in the past did the dumbest rattlecan touch ups you ever saw ... spraying wiring looms, the lot ... but there are professional looking dumb touch ups too in fairness!

May be worthwhile getting a pro to sort it out before the condition worsens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Could be microblisters in the paint caused by spraying in or on to damp conditions. The small particles of moisture get trapped between the paint and the metal but expand as they heat up causing similar appearance to pic.

Advertisement