Advertisement
Have your say on the future of the 'Save Draft' feature in this poll
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

octogon

  • 20-07-2012 9:51pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 Maudi


    most greystoneions will be familiar with the octogon...does anybody know what that well hidden underground void is about 70meters behind it (east)ish.


Comments



  • i presume the octagon is the one in the glen of the downs but don't know about the void any more details?




  • I have no idea what this is about?




  • I think your talking about what I guess would be called a "Cooler" or a food larder, It has a small dungeon like entrance with bars across it and when you look inside its like a giant covered bowl all made from red brick, I was always told this was a storage area for the La Touche estate to store and keep food cool. But there may be another explanation for it.




  • was trying to find out more about the other ruins around the Octagon, this did not shine any more light on what we are talking about but I found it very interesting http://irishartsreview.com/irisartsrevi2002/pdf/2004/25503048.pdf.bannered.pdf




  • nungesser wrote: »
    was trying to find out more about the other ruins around the Octagon, this did not shine any more light on what we are talking about but I found it very interesting http://irishartsreview.com/irisartsrevi2002/pdf/2004/25503048.pdf.bannered.pdf
    i cant seem to open your link anyway..food cooler is the only explanation i can think of too.its huge though..and subterrainian with the flash from my camera i could see it drops at least 4meters..is it not a bit far from any of the old estate houses?


  • Advertisement


  • I have no idea what this is about?
    glen of the downs woods....popular walking area...walk to the top of the woods you end up at a (i guess) earlt 19th century ruins ...locally as the octogon..




  • In the upstairs of the library is a model of the latouche house and estate. Can't remember if it includes the octagon which was the estates hunting lodge but worth a look at the model anyway. If it didn't fall down it would be a great tourist spot like powerscourt house. Most of the land and area where the mansion was is now delgany golf club.




  • i presume the octagon is the one in the glen of the downs but don't know about the void any more details?
    as you stand looking at the octogon directly behind you should see a very faint overgrown path.it leads to a field ...you should be looking towards the sea...on your right before the field gate..in the undergrowth..theres a arched doorway leading into a manmade bricklined vault of some kind...it drops away straight down about 4meters..and is about 6/7meters across..theres trees and shrubs growin on top of it..and its invisable unless one is looking at the doorway...hope this helps..




  • Jimjay wrote: »
    In the upstairs of the library is a model of the latouche house and estate. Can't remember if it includes the octagon which was the estates hunting lodge but worth a look at the model anyway. If it didn't fall down it would be a great tourist spot like powerscourt house. Most of the land and area where the mansion was is now delgany golf club.
    must have a look thanks




  • Probably the remains of an old ice house. These were often built some considerable way away from the houses themselves.

    Here's a couple of examples ...

    http://www.geograph.ie/photo/52370

    http://irishhistorypodcast.ie/2012/04/10/castlecomer-ice-house-a-downton-abbey-style-freezer/


  • Advertisement


  • Alun wrote: »
    Probably the remains of an old ice house. These were often built some considerable way away from the houses themselves.

    Here's a couple of examples ...

    http://www.geograph.ie/photo/52370

    http://irishhistorypodcast.ie/2012/04/10/castlecomer-ice-house-a-downton-abbey-style-freezer/



    Looks like you are right:
    Low standing ruins remain today, as do the walled gardens and some outbuildings including a chapel, icehouse and tunnels.

    Source: http://www.braypeople.ie/news/golf-club-development-given-the-green-light-723550.html




  • Alun wrote: »
    Probably the remains of an old ice house. These were often built some considerable way away from the houses themselves.

    Here's a couple of examples ...

    http://www.geograph.ie/photo/52370

    http://irishhistorypodcast.ie/2012/04/10/castlecomer-ice-house-a-downton-abbey-style-freezer/
    bang on alun..both photos of the entrance match and the interior is exactly like the castlecomer example..definitely an ice house...i also found (purely by chance spending a penny) one of the tunnels mentioned..it runs under the track up to the octogon and is 30meters long..has anybody any idea what these were for?





  • I assume that golf course plan has been "put on ice" (sorry)

    far too many courses in the area already, some of them are really struggling financially.




  • thanks maudi i've never seen that must have a look next time




  • Maudi wrote: »
    one of the tunnels mentioned..it runs under the track up to the octogon and is 30meters long..has anybody any idea what these were for?
    The tunnel is to facilitate mountain bikers :D

    Re the icehouse, some archaeology students did an experiment on a similar one a few years back, filling it with hard-packed snow in March. There was still some ice left 3 or 4 months later. Would have been very useful for storing venison, as the deer come down off the mountains in Winter.




  • recedite wrote: »
    Maudi wrote: »
    one of the tunnels mentioned..it runs under the track up to the octogon and is 30meters long..has anybody any idea what these were for?
    The tunnel is to facilitate mountain bikers :D

    Re the icehouse, some archaeology students did an experiment on a similar one a few years back, filling it with hard-packed snow in March. There was still some ice left 3 or 4 months later. Would have been very useful for storing venison, as the deer come down off the mountains in Winter.
    hey...i see where your coming from..i noticed the bike tracks...but seriously..the tunnels??what are they for?




  • loyatemu wrote: »
    I assume that golf course plan has been "put on ice" (sorry)

    far too many courses in the area already, some of them are really struggling financially.

    Isn't delgany golf course built on the latouche site? The course was rebuilt as far as I know in 2003 and that story was in 2002. Could the planning for the new golf club they talked about just be planning permission to redevelop the old one?




  • Generally in these old estates, tunnels were used to hide servants from view when going about their work. Possibly the Octagon was used as a summer house of some sort, and the tunnel was used by servants from the house to bring food, drink etc. Or possibly as access to the ice house to transport meat to and from the house?

    BTW I've just found an interesting book on Google Books called "Technology and the Big House in Ireland, C. 1800-C. 1930". Go to Chapter 3, starting at page 111 and there's a whole chapter on ice houses and their construction!

    http://books.google.ie/books?id=vAebpizFWvQC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false




  • The tunnel is definitely there to keep two paths separate, where otherwise there would be a crossroads. As the La Touche family started up the whole banking industry/scam in this country, they were stinking rich. They had paths laid out both sides of what is now the N11 and the Octagon was a kind of tea house, for picnics. It seems likely that the separation was to avoid the awkwardness of bumping into some half starved peasant worker while they were out for an after dinner stroll.

    Re the PP for a Golf Course; it would have been a new one , on Ballydonagh Lane (the lane opposite Kindlestown Woods), midway between two existing courses; Delgany and Glen of the Downs. The entrance to Bellevue Woods off Ballydonagh Lane is I think the Right of Way mentioned. Most of the forest north of the Octagon is privately owned. Even though it seems to be part of the "Nature Reserve" part to the south, it isn't.




  • Is the entrance to the woods that sharp turn off the N11 or is there another way in? It seems I have missed a great spot to go walking because of scaremongering. I was advised years ago to not go near the carpark because of cottaging!


  • Advertisement


  • That's the one, the Glen of the Downs car park. I also heard it was a notorious dogging spot, but haven't seen anything untoward there to be honest, but then I've always been there on a Sunday afternoon, probably not prime time for such activities!!




  • Thanks Alun. I'll try it on a weekend afternoon so!




  • Here I was thinking we were getting the Ultimate Fighter in Greystones:D:D:D:D




  • Is the entrance to the woods that sharp turn off the N11 or is there another way in? It seems I have missed a great spot to go walking because of scaremongering. I was advised years ago to not go near the carpark because of cottaging!
    dogging i know..
    but cottageing??
    more likely to return to broken windows in the carpark...however the lane xcross from kindlestown wood..drive maybe a k. down come to a farm gate..room for two at the most cars ( on left)




  • Alun wrote: »
    Generally in these old estates, tunnels were used to hide servants from view when going about their work. Possibly the Octagon was used as a summer house of some sort, and the tunnel was used by servants from the house to bring food, drink etc. Or possibly as access to the ice house to transport meat to and from the house?

    BTW I've just found an interesting book on Google Books called "Technology and the Big House in Ireland, C. 1800-C. 1930". Go to Chapter 3, starting at page 111 and there's a whole chapter on ice houses and their construction!

    http://books.google.ie/books?id=vAebpizFWvQC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
    hi..that explains the tunnels..they run under the path to the octogon..so if lordy was on the path taking the air..and the poor servants had to stay hidden but continue on their way back and forth...the complete and utter snobby contempt of it!!!




  • Maudi wrote: »
    dogging i know..
    but cottageing??
    more likely to return to broken windows in the carpark...however the lane xcross from kindlestown wood..drive maybe a k. down come to a farm gate..room for two at the most cars ( on left)

    I was under the impression that there was some kind of derelict building there which was used. Sorry, I didn't mean to go off on a tangent.




  • used to be a popular spot for raves until the Guards raided one and seized all the equipment.




  • Can anyone confirm if the ice house / void is still accessible? I've looked numerous times since coming across this thread to no avail. Any information would be greatly appreciated





  • I can't see why it wouldn't be there but haven't looked recently. The path leading to it is probably just overgrown. From memory, with your back to the octagon, climb up the small hill about 70 yrds, the path is in front of you. To the left you'll have the path back to Ballydonagh lane, to the right you'll have the path back down to the car park/glen rd.



  • Advertisement
Advertisement