Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 (New Install) Not Recognising Password

Options
  • 20-07-2012 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

I've just installed a new copy of windows 7 onto a new PC. I set up my password as a simple 5 letter word (no caps). Was in and out of bios changing some settings, so I've had to log into windows, maybe 3 or 4 times and had no problem getting in using the pw.

But now, it's refusing my pw, saying it's incorrect. I've checked that caps lock was turned off, so no idea how to get around this, or what even went wrong. Any ideas?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Vista?

Same rules applies, the majority of Microsoft Operating Systems are still based on NT just the UI changes with a few frills added.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Add this - Offline NT Password and Registry Editor - to your toolkit.

Well I managed to find info for my problem there : went into windows recovery options, selected command prompt, typed in some command lines, was able to activate administrator account & reset my password.

Nice ;)

• Advertisement

Great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

You can also try WindowsGate

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=21204
    Here is my new small tool WindowsGate for accessing any local users accounts without password knowing.
    It is designates for work with Windows Live CDs.

Version 1.1 features:
    • target OS can be installed on any paths
    • two gates available now:
      • msv1_0.dll patch
      • utilman.exe replacement (WinKey+U shortcut) - run any process with system privileges from WindowsGate

The plugin can be downloaded here:
    http://www.virtualexile.com/wg/windowsgate.cab (290kB)

btw, I had a fairly simple & short pw already installed, is it common to have a corrupted password file/register in Windows 7 ??

Earlier on in the OS it use to boot to a generic profile when there was issues but it seems to have been fixed with SP1, but never had a corrupt password failure and I have been on 7 since early Beta.

weird, I've been having problems with getting my qpad usb keyboard to work in the bios & was switching between it and old dell ps2 earlier, wonder if that had something to do with it...

• Advertisement

Could be a keyboard configuration between them.
    So yes, even though your typing the password, it may not be what the OS is reading. Try each device and if you get an error with one, try the onscreen keyboard using the mouse to type the password and that will tell you if it's the keyboard.

Sup08 wrote: »
    Could be a keyboard configuration between them.
    So yes, even though your typing the password, it may not be what the OS is reading. Try each device and if you get an error with one, try the onscreen keyboard using the mouse to type the password and that will tell you if it's the keyboard.

how do you access the onscreen keyboard btw?

On the log in screen there is a button for accessabilty, click it for the options of screen reader, keyboard etc. it called ease of access on the bottom left, a round graphic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I just bought an Asus netbook yesterday running Windows 7 Home Premium (I think it's Home Premium) and I've now got this problem of not recognizing my password.

I set up a User account for myself and created a password.

Then I changed this password to the one I use for my other computers.

Now I can get past the first page. It won't recognize the new or the old password. Caps lock is off - though I've tried every combination just in case in was on when I reset the password yesterday.

This has never happened to me before. VERY annoying! A quick Google has shown that this is "quite common" in Windows 7.....WTF! - Mac is looking more and more tempting, I have to say.

Anyway......

1. If I press F8 during startup, I get the various options. Are any of these any good to me in solving this problem?

2. If not, I've seen the link above to the Vista solution. If I have to use something there, could someone please tell me exactly which one? I need to be taken through this............slowly! :p

Thanks, as always.

D.

Ok. This is bonkers....I had tried a few options via the F8 key. All of them required a log in and the password wasn't accepted.

Just now, I restarted and held down the F8 key again. It didn't go to the black screen with the menu options, but to a normal startup asking for the password. Guess what.....the password (the new one I had created yesterday) worked.

Go figure, as they say........!

Anything I should check now that I've got access? Thanks.

Apologies in advance for bumping this, but this little computer is wrecking my head.

As I said above, after numerous refusals to accept the password earlier today, it eventually did, for no apparent reason.

I was then prompted to download and install 54 Microsoft updates. (I have updates set to install only Microsoft updates).

After the installation I was prompted to restart, and guess what...the password wasn't accepted.

I now cannot get into the computer.

Help, please.

Thanks.

D.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Trinity rescue kit.

Thanks for the reply.

What's Trinity Rescue Kit?

Please speak slowly.......this is not my strong suit. :o

Thanks.

D.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Just remove the windows password, most OS passwords are easy to bypass, and are just a load of hassle at the end of the day. Never heard of Windows corrupting the user password either though/nor have I come across it!
    Trinity Rescue Kit can be found here!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Try Trinity or Hiren's Boot CD. Both can reset the OS password.

Thanks for the replies.

I've done the following:

1. Downloaded Trinity Rescue and burned the image to a DVD.

2. Copied the contents of the DVD to a formatted USB stick. The USB stick now contains a folder called TRK_3.4. In it are 16 items.

3. I inserted the USB stick and rebooted the computer while tapping the F2 key.

4. In the menu that opened, I selected the BOOT tab and changed the order so that the USB is first and the C: drive is second. At least I assume that the option other than the C: drive is the USB. It's listed in the BIOS as [UEFI: V88 V88 5.00]

5. I pressed F10 to save the changes.

6. With the USB stick still in the port, I rebooted.

However, the computer is bypassing the USB and going straight to the C: drive option and asking for the password.

I've checked (by rebooting and pressing F2) that the start order in the BOOT menu is correct and it is.

If I go to the last tab and choose the BOOT override option and select the USB, it says, 'Invalid boot disc'. So, I assume that something in the contents of the USB stick has to be changed?

Any ideas?

Having copied the contents to the USB stick, should I delete some items so that the computers 'sees' what it needs to see on startup?

Thanks, as always.

D.

ps. Once I do get it to boot from the USB, I'll be back! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Dinarius wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

I've done the following:

1. Downloaded Trinity Rescue and burned the image to a DVD.

2. Copied the contents of the DVD to a formatted USB stick. The USB stick now contains a folder called TRK_3.4. In it are 16 items.

3. I inserted the USB stick and rebooted the computer while tapping the F2 key.

4. In the menu that opened, I selected the BOOT tab and changed the order so that the USB is first and the C: drive is second. At least I assume that the option other than the C: drive is the USB. It's listed in the BIOS as [UEFI: V88 V88 5.00]

5. I pressed F10 to save the changes.

6. With the USB stick still in the port, I rebooted.

However, the computer is bypassing the USB and going straight to the C: drive option and asking for the password.

I've checked (by rebooting and pressing F2) that the start order in the BOOT menu is correct and it is.

If I go to the last tab and choose the BOOT override option and select the USB, it says, 'Invalid boot disc'. So, I assume that something in the contents of the USB stick has to be changed?

Any ideas?

Having copied the contents to the USB stick, should I delete some items so that the computers 'sees' what it needs to see on startup?

Thanks, as always.

D.

ps. Once I do get it to boot from the USB, I'll be back! :rolleyes:

You need to make the USB key bootable (in fact you never needed to burn the iso to a cd in the first place).
    Heres how to make the key bootable:
    Download UNetBootIn
    Choose select ISO, browse to the trinity iso file you downloaded and select it
    Then choose the drive letter corresponding to your USB key and start the process (your USB Key will be wiped so make sure all important stuff is off it before!)

Nick

Nick,

I've managed to via the USB drive. Progress!

After the boot, if I didn't select for a menu (mind-boggling choice!), it started automatically after 20 seconds, which I let it do.

After much scrolling code, it now says that it has looked for TRK on my CD drive (there isn't one) and then, "Seems we didn't find the TRK medium", so "Manually enter the device on which TRK can be found"

It's on a camera memory card in a card reader attached to the USB drive. Since it was able to boot to it, I presume it's ok.

So, how do I manually enter the device on which it can be found?

Many thanks!

D.

Ps. I shut it down and rebooted. I then chose item number 7 from the menu "Try more pcmcia and usb nics (when not detected). Still no joy. Maybe one of those 22 is the right one?

Nick,

I've managed to via the USB drive. Progress!

After the boot, if I didn't select for a menu (mind-boggling choice!), it started automatically after 20 seconds, which I let it do.

After much scrolling code, it now says that it has looked for TRK on my CD drive (there isn't one) and then, "Seems we didn't find the TRK medium", so "Manually enter the device on which TRK can be found"

It's on a camera memory card in a card reader attached to the USB drive. Since it was able to boot to it, I presume it's ok.

So, how do I manually enter the device on which it can be found?

Many thanks!

D.

Ps. I shut it down and rebooted. I then chose item number 7 from the menu "Try more pcmcia and usb nics (when not detected). Still no joy. Maybe one of those 22 is the right one?

One more thing to try, try creating the USB Key with this. I have had problems with unetbootin in the past, but it is usually ok. This tool has Trinity available under other rescue discs

Nick

Nick,

I'm in!!

I've selected the Reset Password from the menu (item 3) and I now have five options. I'm happy to get rid of it. The options are......

1. Reset password on built-in administrator
    2. Interactive winpass
    3. Winpass with prompt for username first.
    4. Restore original password database
    5. Help on winpass

Which option allows me to delete this goddamn password? :)

And what do I do? e.g. If I chose Interactive winpass, (command: winpass -i) appears below. What does this mean?

Thanks.

D.

Edited:

Sorted!

I chose the first option (accidentally, as it happens!) and then option 4. further down to delete the password.

When I rebooted I was presented with BOTH the Administrator account and my account. (When I was having problems, I was only seeing my account on Startup.) If I clicked on my account, it would still not accept the password. But, Administrator didn't ask for any password.

So, I back in! Thanks Nick! I am extremely grateful!! :P I've learned a lot.

I'm going to delete my account and remain password free, just using the Administrator account.

For what it's worth, I wrote to Asus with the problem. This was their reply. Fairly drastic, but it might be of use to someone sometime......

It appears your Windows installation may have become corrupt. It may be best to restore the machine to factory defaults as this will confirm the hardware is still working properly.

EEE-Machines:
    You MAY need to confirm the BOOT-BOOSTER option is disabled.
    If this option cannot be found, please bypass this stage.
    1. Turn your computer off completely.
    2. Turn it on, and then tap the F2 key on your keyboard for about 5 seconds.
    3. Using the left and right arrow keys search for the option BOOT BOOSTER.
    4. Usign the UP and DOWN keys select the optio n.
    5. Press ENTER and select DISABLED and press ENTER.
    6. Press F10 to save and exit, choosing YES to reboot.
    7. Now follow the processes below..

SYSTEM RESTORE OPTIONS:

It would be best to backup your data to an external device and restore the machine to factory defaults. To run the restore follow the instructions below:

1. Turn your computer off completely.
    2. Turn it on, and then tap the F9 key on your keyboard for about 5 seconds.
    3. When you see "Windows setup" or "Windows Boot Manager" press ENTER to choose the default option.
    4. Click Next on the Preload Wizard.
    5. Ensure you select to "Recover to first partition only."
    6. Click Next and finish the recovery tool.
    7. Your system will now recover, this process could take 30 mins to 2 hours.

After running these steps please confirm the machine is operating correctly.
    I then advise to run Windows update and Asus Update to ensure the machine is ful ly patched and upgraded for security reasons. Also ensure you either update the Anti-Virus software supplied, or remove it and replace with a program of your choice.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us again.

Regards,

Nick,

I'm in!!

I've selected the Reset Password from the menu (item 3) and I now have five options. I'm happy to get rid of it. The options are......

1. Reset password on built-in administrator
    2. Interactive winpass
    3. Winpass with prompt for username first.
    4. Restore original password database
    5. Help on winpass

Which option allows me to delete this goddamn password? :)

And what do I do? e.g. If I chose Interactive winpass, (command: winpass -i) appears below. What does this mean?

Thanks.

D.

Try number one, then number 3 (enter your account name when asked for option 3!) :)

Nick

Nick,

You just beat me to it.

See my Edited post above.

Many thanks! ;)

D.

If you ever want to know about camearas or Photoshop, just holler! :P

Advertisement