Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So, help me spend 15-20k

Options
  • 20-07-2012 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Been driving a Mitsubishi Carisma diesel since new in 2004. 135k on the clock. In recent days, having a few problems, eg noisy tappets & the occasional puff of black smoke.

I need a reliable car so I've got to invest.

I'm thinking Mondeo, Kuga, A4 or Accord. 2010 or later.

Any advise???

Thanx.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

If your car is running a little rough it would be cheaper to fix it and run it into the ground than to buy a new motor? This point is irrelevant if you would like a newer car, but it's something to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭gerrymadden1

166man wrote: »
    If your car is running a little rough it would be cheaper to fix it and run it into the ground than to buy a new motor? This point is irrelevant if you would like a newer car, but it's something to think about.

Good point... I'm considering that option but my mechanic says that I'm looking at 1.5 to 2k to get it right & then something else could go wrong... but I'm still driving away....

Thanks Eric... must be diesel, big boot for the golf clubs & cart, low tax band preferred... good reputation... btw, the Carisma may not be appropriately named but, if they were still being produced, I'd have no hesitation buying another. A great car.

Only thing that disappointed me was that it calved after 135k. :mad:

I'm thinking Mondeo, Kuga, A4 or Accord. 2010 or later..............

I drove a few hundred miles in a Kuga last year over a weekend, nice yokes but if you don't actually need the extra height I reckon a more mainstream type car is better. The novelty of the excellent view was wearing off quickly for me and I was reckoning long term I wouldn't fancy it.

Of the other three you mention I'd take the Accord.
    I need a reliable car so I've got to invest

Don't be thinking you need to invest quite so much either :)

I'd get a second opinion or at least a more thorough diagnosis about the Carisma too if I was you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Thanks Eric... must be diesel, big boot for the golf clubs & cart, low tax band preferred... good reputation... btw, the Carisma may not be appropriately named but, if they were still being produced, I'd have no hesitation buying another. A great car.

Ya Sure its definitely on its way out. Have you brought it to mechanic and checked. Could be something minor?

RoverJames wrote: »
    I drove a few hundred miles in a Kuga last year over a weekend, nice yokes but if you don't actually need the extra height I reckon a more mainstream type car is better. The novelty of the excellent view was wearing off quickly for me and I was reckoning long term I wouldn't fancy it.

Of the other three you mention I'd take the Accord.

Don't be thinking you need to invest quite so much either :)

I'd get a second opinion or at least a more thorough diagnosis about the Carisma too if I was you.

Good advice all round... thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm changing my car because I can notice a difference in driving it, yet NO mechanic can diagnose an issue, simply because every mechanic in the country these days seems incapable of identifying a problem without a diagnostics kit. But I was looking for an excuse to change anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Noisy tappets can often be sorted by using a thicker, good quality oil. You can also get them replaced and it's really not a big job. I don't think the tappets are adjustable in the carisma, but new ones are circa €200 from camskill, but get OE ones, which may mean ordering from Japan. Again...Camskill is the place for Mitsi parts. If you're happy with your car, invest in it. A good engine flush and tune up should sort out the smoking gun. Get a second opinion too.

goz83 wrote: »
    Noisy tappets can often be sorted by using a thicker, good quality oil..............

Throwing thicker than the required spec oil into a turbo diesel isn't the way to go :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

Roomy 2010 diesel for about 15K , and 5 years left on the warranty

http://www.carzone.ie/search/KIA/Ceed/2-1.6-CR/6013354367455300/advert?channel=CARS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I've just bought an Accord iDTEC (2008) and it's a lovely car. I had the CDTi (2006) and this model is definitely a step up from that.

Very happy with it. Had the choice of an A4 143 for the same money although the A4 had a few more miles. Nice car too but a bit bland inside and a bit smaller inside too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

goz83 wrote: »
    Noisy tappets can often be sorted by using a thicker, good quality oil..............

Throwing thicker than the required spec oil into a turbo diesel isn't the way to go :)

The trick here is to only put in a PINT of the thicker stuff into the TOP of the engine...just for the tappets to bathe in.
    Works a treat... No need to thank me.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    The trick here is to only put in a PINT of the thicker stuff into the TOP of the engine...just for the tappets to bathe in.

Can't imagine that working to be honest.
    Once the pint gets mixed up with the other 8 pints or so of oil the extra viscosity will be minimal.

What engine with noisy tappets did you find it worked on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

martyc5674 wrote: »

Once the pint gets mixed up with the other 8 pints or so of oil the extra viscosity will be minimal.

Ah no it works alright... You need to speak to the thicker oil as it's going in.

"Now don't be mixin with any shkinny oil in dere, d'ya hear me??"

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Common fix for the mitsubishi and tappet noise (as long as its not overly noisy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Would you not be better off with an estate OP?

Nice estate Accord here.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

Would you not be better off with an estate OP?

Nice estate Accord here.

A lot of milage & what tax band does 08 Accord come under?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

megafan wrote: »
    A lot of milage

Not too bad for a diesel though, no?
    & what tax band does 08 Accord come under?

No idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Accord diesels were in Tax Band C.

Advertisement