Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tingling....

Options
  • 20-07-2012 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am a regular poster gone anon for this. Female aged 37, mother of 2, non-smoker, drink about once a month and am just about within my suggested BMI range.

I am not looking for a diagnosis, as it's obviously not allowed and I am attending a doctor for my complaint at the moment. I suppose I would love to hear from somebody who had these symptoms, and it turned out to be nothing serious.

About a month ago, I started to notice tingling in my left foot, especially if leg crossed. Thought it was a trapped nerve. Two weeks later, both feet were tingling, and it spread up my calves, with rolling and fluttering sensations also. I made appointment for doctor, but the night before I was due to go, I felt it in my hands, wrists, across my stomach, neck, scalp and face. I panicked and went to an after hours doc, who prescribed a drug for peripheral neuropathy, and advised me to take it for a month, and if symptoms didn't go away, I would be referred to be tested for 'something more sinister'.

Of course, within ten minutes of getting home, I knew just what 'something more sinister' meant: MS.

I went to my own doc the next morning, and he felt that she had very much jumped the gun with her diagnosis and really he didn't want me to get the drugs at all. I have just finished a degree, which was difficult to combine with family life, and up until a week ago, I really wasn't looking after myself, and was enormously sleep deprived and stressed. Doc said he wouldn't dream of referring me until I have put an honest effort into relaxing and sleeping well. He feels that these symptoms can be caused by anxiety and exhaustion.

So I left feeling reassured, and have been eating better, relaxing with the family, opening up to friends, and sleeping so much more. I'm not saying I was expecting a miracle, but I am very worried as I have new symptoms in the last week, such as tingling in ears and numb lips. I also feel I am tripping over my words, but my husband thinks not.

I can't explain how worried I am about all of this. It's easier to ignore it during the day, but when I sit down in the evening it's impossible, and when I feel any sensation in my head, it's hard to believe that this isn't all going in a very scary direction.

Has anyone been through anything similar and found that it was indeed all stress? I will be going back to the doc next week, but would love to feel a bit more optimistic at this point.

Thank you

Advertisement