Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New stations with digital switchover

Options
  • 20-07-2012 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there will be new stations coming on board as a result of the digital switchover? Obviously there will be large amount of bandwidth free after October 24th. Will any of this be used to create new fm stations? Or will there be any new stations on saorview, aside from rte ones?

And there is the DAB medium as well. Are there any planned stations for that platform? I think myself that DAB has been left behind with the growth of internet radio and the poor reception available nationwide.

So, any new stations in the next year or so?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Antenna

niceview wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone know if there will be new stations coming on board as a result of the digital switchover? Obviously there will be large amount of bandwidth free after October 24th. Will any of this be used to create new fm stations?

Since when has there been any analogue TV transmitters in Ireland occupying space between (or even near) 87.5 and 108 MHz ????

We are not in Japan (where this is the case)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_broadcast_band#Japanese_bandplan

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭niceview

A simple no would have sufficed.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

I suspect it will be a few years before you get any more new stations. The current ones are strugglin too much as it is with fallin ad revenues without addin more competition. DAB is a work in progress, but with DAB+ now available, hopefully the positives of that will be enough to convert "the powers that be" to invest in this technology.

however the digital switchover for tv will have no affect on fm radio.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, it'd be nice to have some commercial radio channels on Saorview, since RTE stations are all there. I guess that may not happen at least until the 2nd Multiplex is fired up, and that doesn't seem too likely in the short term. It may never happen... Thank God for internet radio!

Advertisement