Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Talented Member of Outkast?

Options
  • 20-07-2012 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭

I've changed my opinion on this over the past 10 years. Used to think it was Andre. He seemed more inventive, more interesting and more honest.

But over the years, I've begun to appreciate Big Boi more and more. I've always thought he was the better rapper, but his raps seemed a little shallow to me, and his music much more conventional. However,The Love Below, while still a good album, hasn't stood up to repeated listens the same way as Speakerboxxx, and Lucious Left Foot turned out to be one of my all time favourite hip-hop albums.

Is it? 19 votes

Andre 3000
    0% 0 votes
    Big Boi
    73% 14 votes
    I have no opinion/Atari Jaguar
    26% 5 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Andre
    /thread

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

André is probably the more talented in an overall sense.

My favourite between the two is Big Boi. I'd listen to him before I'd listen to André. Big Boi's delivery on B.O.B. is out of this world, and his solo album is an amazing piece of work.

I'm after confusing myself even more by replying to this :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I think I can only make a clearer judgement once Dre puts out his own solo album.

I would have always said Dre and I still think he is one of the best rappers out there. However, Big Boi really stepped up with his solo album, I think he blew a lot of people away with what he did.

In a whole, musical sense, I'd say Dre is better but in a strictly rapping sense, I'm not so sure who it is anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Well when you say "more talented" i assume you mean more talented as a musician, and if thats the question then it goes to Andre. The man plays countless instruments, has an amazing singing voice, brilliant lyricist and an overall more unique artist. Hands down better than big boi even though big boi is an excellent rapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Both, they complement each other so well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I think they're both great and compliment each other perfectly in Outkast. However, in terms of just musical talent, Andre 3000, hands down, is more talented. He's a much more complete and versatile musician. Big Boi is a great rapper, and in purely rapping sense, I think it's a close call between them, but if you're talking music in a broader sense, I doubt Big Boi could turn his hand to a wider variety of genres and pull it off. Andre could.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Andre for me even though tbh outkast are one of those groups/rappers that Iv just slept on. I havnt heard enough of them as a group or individually really, it's just the little stuff I did hear , I'd have to give the nod to Andre and thats mainly due to his appearances on other rappers I like songs.

Both are clearly very talented though and tbh I have 2 or 3,songs from big boi's last album that got some serious rotation. Also loved Andre's "I do" song that was later ruined and given to young jeezy ft jay z, they kept andre's verse on it but it just didn't fit the new song which was no fault of his.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Andre is by far the more talented. He throws his hand at anything and it works out for him because he has the natural ability for what he does.

But that is not to knock Big Boi, he knows what he is good at, and sticks to it, and does it very well.

But, the 2 of them compliment each other very well and that is why they have got to where they are today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Tough to say this because when I started listening to Kast I was Big Boi all the way.

I have to say now though, Andre is undoubtedly more talented (as a rapper and in wider musical sense) he really can mesmerise on a verse. Big Boi has stepped his game up recently, and I cannot wait for his second solo album, Andre is exploring pastures new and I don't know if he will come back to another OutKast project, but they could def. go in new directions.

Few fav. Andre verses.

Now playin these bitches is my favorite sport
    But ain't no game when they be callin your name in the court
    Oh, it's Saturday night, I guess that makes it alright
    Got an obese twenty sack, fully packed, it's so tight
    That it's bustin out the seems, yes sir, I'm set
    Oh, but let me tuck the 380 before I jet
    Hops off in the Lac with Big Gipp, you got a light(Hootie Hoo)
    Communication device dun went off twice
    Should I answer the call, yes, I'm mackin 'em all
    We met 'em up in the mall, recall Player's Ball
    Well, it's Player's Ball 2, so I guess I'll call you
    Later on, and then your whole crew can fall through
    Now later on done got here
    I takes a peek, now let me see, what do we got here?
    Draws, fallin down like niggas in a drive-by
    I got up in them hoes and I told 'em bye bye
    About two weeks later, she called me with some bullshít
    Talkin 'bout her period late, guess what I did
    Click

So I'm watchin' her fine ass
    Walk to my bedroom, and thought to myself
    That's the shape of things to come
    She said, "Why you in the club, you don't make it precipitate?
    You know, make it rain when you can make it thunderstorm?"
    I'm like, Why?
    The world needs sun
    The hood needs funds
    There's a war going on and half the battle is guns
    How dare I throw it on the floor
    When people are poor
    So I write like Edgar Allen to restore - got a cord
    Umbilical attached to a place that can't afford
    No landscaping, Or window draping
    This old lady told me
    If I ain't got nothin' good, say nathing
    That's why I don't talk much
    I swear it don't cost much, to pay attention to me
    I tell like it is, then I tell it how it could be
    The hood be
    Requesting my services
    Oh don't get nervous it's
    Step yo game up time
    These ain't them same old rhymes
    Designed to have you dancin' in some club
    Niggas ride to me women beat off in they tub
    Ex-foliating with they poms-poms
    Yelling, "Go 3000!"
    I'm in my whatever bumpin' N.W.A
    "A 100 miles and"
    Runnin' Runnin' Runnin' Runnin'
    Summon
    Woman
    Come in
    Sit down, heard you need some plumbin'
    Done in
    I'm in
    A swell mood
    A rather swole mood
    Until she told me that she told dude
    That she'll be back, she's going to the store
    I didn't know she had a boyfriend, so the door
    I pointed her to
    I said, "Call me when ya'll break up"
    "I don't fúck nobody bitch
    And never owned a Jacob," know what time it is
    Nigga just
    Tryin' to live like a Nigga supposed to live
    If I still drank that malt liquor
    I'd pour the beer
    On the ground for niggas not around;
    I started off starvin'
    Now they got me out here Brett Favre'n
    Trynna' see if I still got it... (got it...)
    I guess it's like a bike think about it...

+ I think his verse on Mrs. Jackson is an all time great, his heart spills out of the lyrics.

Advertisement