Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studies of Munster Irish

Options
  • 20-07-2012 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

I'm off to Baile an Fheirtéaraigh for a while and before I go I'd like to read an academic study or two of Munster Irish, its history, differences within areas and from other dialects.

I'm aware of vol 1 and vol 2 of Sean-chaint na nDeise covering An Rinn. Any recommendations for, say, Corca Dhuibhne Irish, however? For instance, I'd like to know the spelling of Fuaireas (?) and Fuairis (sp?), and which is 'I put' and which is 'you put'. Likewise for Cuiris (sp?) and all the other contracted Munster Irish verbs. And why do they say 'do bhíos (sp?)' when 'Bhíos' is, as far as I know, a contraction of 'Bhí mé'. What's the purpose of 'do' as a past particle there and in so many other sentences? And so on.

All suggestions will be welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've found some useful stuff on the Cork Irish blog before: http://www.corkirish.com/wordpress/
    They have a lot of Bible extracts as well though, usually for grammar lessons, but I ain't a fan of those myself.

The use of "do" in the Aimsir Chaite is a remnant from older forms of the language. You'll still see it commonly in standard Irish in verbs that start with vowels (m.sh. d'éirigh, d'imigh, d'ith, 7rl).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

An Teanga Bheo: Chorca Dhuibhne is a great small reference. The one I used around Baile an Fheirtéaraigh. It's actually a "tourist guide" to the dialect. The first chapter alone if really good for learning how to pronounce Munster Irish. The whole book is quite short.

By the same author is the big monograph Gaeilge Chorca Dhuibhne, which is very complete if that is what you want.

For an overview of the dialect and its history see Seán Ó Súilleabháin's essay "Gaelainn na Mumhan" in the book Stair na Gaeilge.

A really accurate guide to pronouncing Munster Irish (based on Cork Irish) is Brian Ó Cuív's "The Irish of West Muskerry, Co. Cork".

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Oaklilly

I'd also recommend doing lessons from the book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irish-Teach-Yourself-Myles-Dillon/dp/0340057971/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342877048&sr=8-1

If you follow the written lessons it will give you things to learn and translate, after some reading you will have a reasonable knowledge of Munster Irish.

Advertisement