Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions

Options
  • 20-07-2012 4:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm not entirely certain if these questions have been addressed yet, but a cursory glance says 'no', so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I recently deferred a place in DCU until next year to make money - it was accepted, thank God - and I have a few questions:
    - I studied in UCD, reaching third year but dropping out after that. The fees I was quoted were over €6000 per year (hence the deferral) - my question is, do I have to pay the registration fee on top of that or is that all inclusive for EU students?
    - I will be 25 this January, assuming I live away from home will I be entitled to any sort of grant or has my past experience in college ruled out any hope for that?
    - Finally, how are the interviews judged? I got 490 in my Leaving but according to the offer form I received it was all 888 and 878. A friend of mine considering a return is curious as to how this works.

Any answers you have would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

Gott wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm not entirely certain if these questions have been addressed yet, but a cursory glance says 'no', so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I recently deferred a place in DCU until next year to make money - it was accepted, thank God - and I have a few questions:
    - I studied in UCD, reaching third year but dropping out after that. The fees I was quoted were over €6000 per year (hence the deferral) - my question is, do I have to pay the registration fee on top of that or is that all inclusive for EU students?

Unless whomever quoted you fees messed up they should have quoted your the full amount, i.e. Tuition + registration.

If they only quoted you the tuition fee then yes.

- I will be 25 this January, assuming I live away from home will I be entitled to any sort of grant or has my past experience in college ruled out any hope for that?

If you are over 23 on January 1st in the year you are coming back to education you will be classed as a mature student.

So regarding the grant, technically you should only get it once, so if you got it for 3 years previously then you should have to pay for yourself for the first 3 years of another course. Unless:

(a) you are upgrading, eg you previously studied a level 7 programme and are now studying a level 8
    or
    (b) if it's more than 5 years since you were in full time education then you should be able to reapply for a grant.
    - Finally, how are the interviews judged? I got 490 in my Leaving but according to the offer form I received it was all 888 and 878. A friend of mine considering a return is curious as to how this works.

If you've already gotten an offer then you shouldn't be worried about points, because you've obviously qualified.
    If you're a mature student you will be interviewed and not judged entirely on your leaving cert results. The interviewers will be looking for your enthusiasm to return to education, your enthusiasm for the programme content/subject material, any previous experience with the career path/subject material.

Best of Luck next year, don't forget to apply to the CAO BEFORE February 1st next year or you will loose your place and will need to reapply all over again!

F

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

Thanks for the reply, it was the DCU website I got the fees from, it has three columns, one marked free fees, one with EU students, and one with the non-EU fees, I just wasn't certain if I had to pay the registration fee on top of the figure for EU fees.

That clears up any confusion, cheers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

- I studied in UCD, reaching third year but dropping out after that. The fees I was quoted were over €6000 per year (hence the deferral) - my question is, do I have to pay the registration fee on top of that or is that all inclusive for EU students?.

It's easy enough to check. Contact the fees office again and ask for clarification. https://www.dcu.ie/finance/fees/index.shtml
    - I will be 25 this January, assuming I live away from home will I be entitled to any sort of grant or has my past experience in college ruled out any hope for that?.

Your eligibility for any form of grant assistance depends on whether or not you received a qualification from your time in UCD. If you didn't then you need five full clear years between the time you 'officially' dropped out and this Sept when you start the DCU course. If you don't have the 5 years you could be liable for fees. You can check exactly what your situation is with the Dept of Ed student Support unit in Tullamore. Tel: 057 93 25317.

If you did receive a qualification for your time in UCD you are ineligible for free fees or grant support for the equivalent period of time spent on any new course. But since you were in UCD and left after 3 years I'm assuming you didn't get any qualification during your time there.

As Frowzy says a Mature student gets a points score based on much more than educational qualifications. Knowledge of the subject area, relevant work or life experience, degree of aptitude shown on tests or at interview are all counted towards determining eligibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Your eligibility for any form of grant assistance depends on whether or not you received a qualification from your time in UCD. If you didn't then you need five full clear years between the time you 'officially' dropped out and this Sept when you start the DCU course. If you don't have the 5 years you could be liable for fees.

Ah that's okay, it hasn't been five years so I'm probably not entitled to anything.

I think I'll ring the fees office in DCU on Monday and clear up what I'll be paying. I know for definite my face will be ashen when it comes time to pay them next year anyway :pac:

Advertisement