Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Stairs should they be spray painted?

Options
  • 20-07-2012 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭

I am considering getting a new set of stairs put in. The ones i have are in bad shape. The stairs will be deal/pine and will be painted white/off white.

Would it be best to have the stairs spray painted before installation or would it be OK to put them in and paint them in situ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Gary Busey

woodoo wrote: »
    I am considering getting a new set of stairs put in. The ones i have are in bad shape. The stairs will be deal/pine and will be painted white/off white.

Would it be best to have the stairs spray painted before installation or would it be OK to put them in and paint them in situ?

Personally, if its read deal then varnishing or waxing it would look better. I hate nice wood hidden under paint.

But if you would prefer paint then go for it.

It will need a first coat of primer then a light sand followed by a wood paint in the form of eggshell white(no shine) or mild sheen(mild gloss) or gloss coat.
    Eitherway if you have the option to pre paint then take it. It will be easier to do.

If your question is can it be fitted and then finished then the simple answer is yes, most stairs are fitted like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Got to agree with Gary. In time the varnish would mellow to a nice honey coloured patina.
    Spraying is something which needs controlled conditions - a good dedicated spraying area if possible. Spraying in the house ( or in the back yard ) would be a recipe for disaster.
    Lastly, the first thing to do when a stairs is fitted is to cover the treads with hardboard/plywood otherwise the dents created by use are a pain to remove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

poplar or mahogany would be a far better timber option than deal for painting. deal or pine will not leave that crisp finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

1chippy wrote: »
    poplar or mahogany would be a far better timber option than deal for painting. deal or pine will not leave that crisp finish.

There would probably be a lot of coats needed for mahogany.

Is it cheaper to get stairs sprayed or hand painted. What should a standard set of stairs cost to paint (from bare wood)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Is it cheaper to get stairs sprayed or hand painted. What should a standard set of stairs cost to paint (from bare wood)?
    What part of the country are you in?

We would spray them with a coat of sanding sealer first, followed by two coats of lacquer. The stairs are very hard wearing after lacquering.

it is a good idea to give the stairs a coat of sanding sealer first before fitting, it just keeps the timber from getting black marks and pencil lines when fitting.

feel free to pm me!

• Advertisement

No extra coats with mahogany. i have started using a high build car body primer on any painted jobs recently and found it gives a superior job. takes an extra coat of paint on that though compared to a normal colour matched primer.
    I got a local lad who sprays fulltime to price a couple of sets of stairs for me recently. they were supply and paint and it worked out at 350 plus vat a set. cant really see how hes making much but he does a good job so cant complain.

No extra coats with mahogany. i have started using a high build car body primer on any painted jobs recently and found it gives a superior job. takes an extra coat of paint on that though compared to a normal colour matched primer.
    I got a local lad who sprays fulltime to price a couple of sets of stairs for me recently. they were supply and paint and it worked out at 350 plus vat a set. cant really see how hes making much but he does a good job so cant complain.
    ??? am i reading this correctly, you are using car body primer on timber?

There is no way you can use metal primer on timber, the primer for metal and timber are totally different compounds!

??? am i reading this correctly, you are using car body primer on timber?

There is no way you can use metal primer on timber, the primer for metal and timber are totally different compounds!

Whats supposed to happen to it? Tell me why or what it does and i may listen.

It was another furniture maker who showed me a kitchen he had put in and painted 2 years ago. i coulddnt get over the finish it gave. I have used it on various different projects now and had no issues. Maybe i'm not supposd to do it, but it works so i will.

Whats supposed to happen to it? Tell me why or what it does and i may listen.

It was another furniture maker who showed me a kitchen he had put in and painted 2 years ago. i coulddnt get over the finish it gave. I have used it on various different projects now and had no issues. Maybe i'm not supposd to do it, but it works so i will.
    If you carried your car into the auto shop and they sprayed it with Dulux weathershield i dont think you would be too happy!

Paint companys spend millions designing the different compounds of paint to be used on different things ie metal, plastics or timber.

Timber needs to be primed with a primer that soaks into the timber but also lets the timber breathe and expand. while also not reacting with the oils from the timber.

Metal primers are designed to sit on the surface of the metals. most metal primers are an etch primer or mordant which slightly chemically burn themself on to the metal to get a key to stick!

If i was after paying a couple of grand for a stairs or kitchen i would have the carpenter/joiner replace it if he told me he had painted it with car paint. The paint will fall off in a few years, it is not designed for timber.

In my 15 years painting, 13 doing houses and the last 2 as an industrial sprayer i have never seen or heard of anyone using automotive paint on timber.

Advertisement