Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any suggestions on trigger replacements

Options
  • 19-07-2012 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I had a few issues with the trigger contacts on my last few AEG's including my current. I have had to replace the contacts after about a years of use, primarily on semi while running a 7.4V Lipo.

The main issue is that after a while the semi seems to burn out or wear down and turns into full auto. I am looking to find a replacement for the current V2 switch or either a brand dont wear out too quickly, guarder and kings arms dont last too long.

If its in the lines of a mosfet I would be looking for something cheap enough as cash isn't something I have a lot of.

Any and all advise will be greatly appreciated! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

Bernie Mac wrote: »
    Hey all,

I had a few issues with the trigger contacts on my last few AEG's including my current. I have had to replace the contacts after about a years of use, primarily on semi while running a 7.4V Lipo.

The main issue is that after a while the semi seems to burn out or wear down and turns into full auto. I am looking to find a replacement for the current V2 switch or either a brand dont wear out too quickly, guarder and kings arms dont last too long.

If its in the lines of a mosfet I would be looking for something cheap enough as cash isn't something I have a lot of.

are you sure you dont mean the cut off lever?dont see why the trigger switch can cause it to fire full auto....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

G&P switches are pretty good. I favour them over most others.

If you are a fan of mostly 'semi' which will cause a lot more wear on your trigger a mosfet may be the best mod for you.

You wouldn't need any fancy mosfet just a basic one. The basic mosfet was always designed just to protect your switch from excessive wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Bernie Mac

Rooky1 wrote: »
    G&P switches are pretty good. I favour them over most others.

If you are a fan of mostly 'semi' which will cause a lot more wear on your trigger a mosfet may be the best mod for you.

You wouldn't need any fancy mosfet just a basic one. The basic mosfet was always designed just to protect your switch from excessive wear.

Any suggestions as to any models? I have only seen complex models that have all this programming involved and range from around 70euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Any suggestions as to any models? I have only seen complex models that have all this programming involved and range from around 70euro.

You can make one yourself dude if all you want is to protect your trigger contacts and not have a programmable unit. Parts cost a few quid from radionics.

Here's a link on what to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hLeOsiJMao

There is a part 2 aswell with the installation.

Made one myself recently and my aeg has not exploded so I wreckon its working :).

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advise guys! Hopefully I will find a soloution in one of those suggestions! Thanks again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glicster

a mosfet wont stop this from happening. its whatever material the sliding contact is made from that wears down from contact with the cut off lever. everybody has the same problem at some stage but much quicker if you use semi alot. as for a mod or fix,i dont know,the block is moulded and the wear is only a few mills worth

glicster wrote: »
    a mosfet wont stop this from happening. its whatever material the sliding contact is made from that wears down from contact with the cut off lever. everybody has the same problem at some stage but much quicker if you use semi alot. as for a mod or fix,i dont know,the block is moulded and the wear is only a few mills worth

ammmmmm the idea of a mosfet is to create an electronic gate to allow voltage and current flow through it rather than your trigger contacts.

When you use semi auto more so than full you create an electrical arc just before the point of contact and after when the contacts separates. This degrades the contacts and creates carbon build up, this increases your resistance and lowers your conductance, then eventually it will go to the point where it point blank will not fire.

Some materials will last longer but they will eventually degrade but its only a matter of time. The basic mosfet bypasses all this using your trigger switch only to tell the mosfet when to leave the voltage through. Its far more efficient really and any person that likes semi auto should invest or make one.

ammmmmm the idea of a mosfet is to create an electronic gate to allow voltage and current flow through it rather than your trigger contacts.

When you use semi auto more so than full you create an electrical arc just before the point of contact and after when the contacts separates. This degrades the contacts and creates carbon build up, this increases your resistance and lowers your conductance, then eventually it will go to the point where it point blank will not fire.

Some materials will last longer but they will eventually degrade but its only a matter of time. The basic mosfet bypasses all this using your trigger switch only to tell the mosfet when to leave the voltage through. Its far more efficient really and any person that likes semi auto should invest or make one.
    dont forget the quicker trigger response time:)

fully agree with your reply pal. but hes talking about semi and auto fire(i think?) to fix what you outline a quick rub of sand paper sorts it out untill eventually they do have to be replaced(unless ofcourse he uses the mosfet but either way his semi WILL stop working). and i thought ian(bernie) would have known all this??

maybe im picking up his question wrong as he talks about semi not working, only full auto, and contacts and then he mentiones mosfets. unless hes looking for something where the contacts are made from a more durable material to stop them burning im unclear as to which problem hes refering to. carbon build up or no semi?
    care to clear it up for me bernie?

Hey all,

I see what you mean, missed that part. Well the burning out part yeah the mosfet will do the job. :).

• Advertisement

It might be a good idea to replace switch with a nice GnP one;
    http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/upgrade-part/parts-upgrade-aeg/switch-assembly/gandp-switch-assembly-for-version-2-gear-box-w-battery-on-back-battery-stock.html

And replace your cut off lever with this steel one. Much stronger and doesn't wear as quick.
    http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/upgrade-part/parts-upgrade-aeg/gearbox-small-parts/gandp-steel-cut-off-lever-for-aeg-gearbox-v2.html

And maybe one of the mosfets as suggested earlier:)
    If you had a few extra euro you could by an Active Braking mosfet, this will give you a very nice crisp semi action.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

The cut off lever works fine alright its not that. I have known of mosfets and avoided them like the plague since they have been introduced because I have only ever seen them cause more hassle then they have been worth.

I was trying to see if there was a simple plug and play devise/system that would replace the current system of two connects completing the circuit. I am trying to avoid any of these systems where I have to take my aeg out and program it every time to single or burst or any of that jazz.

Plus this is also somethings that needs to be done on an incredibly tight budget. :rolleyes:

The cut off lever works fine alright its not that. I have known of mosfets and avoided them like the plague since they have been introduced because I have only ever seen them cause more hassle then they have been worth.

I was trying to see if there was a simple plug and play devise/system that would replace the current system of two connects completing the circuit. I am trying to avoid any of these systems where I have to take my aeg out and program it every time to single or burst or any of that jazz.

Plus this is also somethings that needs to be done on an incredibly tight budget. :rolleyes:

Then DIY is what your after. Its cheap as chips this way. Its not that difficult if your ok with your hands then you should have no problems.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2915/switchq.jpg

this foto from deburca is the issue i was refering to but alas its not what your looking for

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056304374 and this is the full thread

www.khmountain.com/airsoft/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=mosfet&x=14&y=10

very cheap mosfet €5.57 and only €4 shipping if you decide to go with it. fuse protected aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Any idea if any Irish retailers stock MOSFETS like these?

The Gate mosfets actually work well and are reasonably priced:-)

https://www.airsoftguns.ie/search?orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=MOSFET

I am not associated with the retailer, just remembered seeing them on their website!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Rooky has pretty much hit every nail square on the head.

People often forget that a MOSFET is a very specific thing, and does not have any features such as 3rd burst etc. It is a communication thing - retailers (I have to hold hand high here as a contributor) advertise items as a MOSFET, because it features a MOSFET, but they also have a rake of other non-MOSFET related features...and thus great confusion arises.

If you're just looking for the protective features of a MOSFET, you are best off making it yourself. They're cheap, cheerful and most importantly effective! If you're after fancy-pants extras, then go for the likes of the Gate MERF 3.2, AWS Raptor (or whatever modmyairsoft are going to call it), Black Talon Chimera (hey, I'm excited about its release!) etc. Otherwise, like most things in life - if you want it done right, take the time and do it yourself :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭jamrole

snip

Advertisement