Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aoibhlinn - Name Help

Options
  • 19-07-2012 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We're expecting our second, and the name Aoibhlinn is at the very top of our list. I originally came across Aibhlinn (ayv-leen) and loved it for its sound and meaning: wished for, longed for child. That has special significance to my husband and I after 3 recent miscarriages.

However, I wanted to tie-in the "Eve" sound, and came across Aoibhlinn (eev-lin). I can't find a lot of information on this name and I want to make sure that 1) I'm pronouncing it correctly and 2) I wondered if there's a meaning associated with this name. I'd LOVE if it shared a meaning with Aibhlinn, but I'm not sure if it does. Does anyone have any idea what this name means?

If I change the spelling - and therefore the pronunciation - to Aoibhlínn, does that affect the meaning at all?

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Hi MrsLuWho,
    I'm no expert on name meaning, I presume they derive from "aoibh" which is an old lyrical word for beauty I think. Translated loosely as joy either. Websites and books only provide interpretations of names, they're so old you can interpret them lots of different ways usually. It might be very hard for anyone to provide a definite meaning. I hope someone can do a better job helping you with that!
    I'm pretty sure "Aoibhlinn" and "Aibhlinn" are the same name, just spelled differently (there are other variations too) and you can certainly pronounce "aoibh" either way; "ayv" or "eev". I would say most people will see it and say "ayv" just because that pronunciation has become popular in names like Aoibhín.
    If you want the "í" sound, "lín" looks more normal than "línn". "ín" is just a diminutive, as in "ickle/ wee/lil" etc; and you get it at the end of lots of names.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MrsLuWho

Thank you! Can't tell you how much this helps!

Advertisement