Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sequence to view the movies

• 19-07-2012 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭

I've seen episode IV a load of times but to my shame I havent seen all the others.

Just wondering what sequence would people recommend I watch them in? Should I watch them in sequence of being made i.e. IV,V,VI,I,II,III or in the episode sequence I - VI ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

Watch 4, 5, 6 ... forget 1, 2, 3 !

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

Watched them in the last few months and went for IV, V, then back to I, II, III then watched VI last. Best fit if you've never seen them before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Gaz wrote: »
    Watch 4, 5, 6 ... forget then 1, 2, 3 !

fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Thanks for the suggestions :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Watch them in order so you get the high it ends on and not a WTF was that about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

a friend swears by the machete order

http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

looks pretty good actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

a friend swears by the machete order

http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

looks pretty good actually

That's a good article. What he has essentially done it is "Godfather 2" the Star Wars series by framing the movies with the 'present' (ie the OT period) and then drop the prequels (the past) into the middle in order to create clearer stronger parallels between an adult father and an adult son.

I've been looking for an excuse for a marathon and I think I'll try it that way next time out. (IV V II III VI ........ and maybe I)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Just finished watching the series in Machete order and I have to say it was much better way to watch the full saga if you ever intend on doing so.

Despite these movies intentions to be a single whole, the six episode series has never ever felt properly integrated to me and always felt like "three movies" and then "another three movies" rather than one complete story. Well with machete it really ties it together and you get the feeling you're following a single character in Anakin/Vader rather than imho how it felt the prequels were just "Anakin" the OT just "Vader" .... and never the twain shall meet.

Machete seems to minimise the 'unevenness' that exists across the series. By going IV V II III VI it starts strong and ends strong and has the weakest section in the middle, which is traditionally how a good story is told anyway.

Finally, many of the "riffed" scenes actually feel like they're getting proper pay-offs in subsequent films rather than just being copied or "homaged" in the prequels. One example that really worked this time was Vader finally confronting the Emperor in ROTJ. As I watched him I could almost see the cogs of Vaders mind casting back to episode III when he helped kill Mace Windu and set his own downfall in motion. It was quite stirring stuff that somehow never really hit me as effectively when I watched in order 1-6.

Anyway, I'd highly recommend the new order to fans looking to rewatch the series again some time (or possibly even first time viewers).

Advertisement