Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garda clearance check

Options
  • 19-07-2012 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

I'm hopefully working with children at a camp in August.
    I have to get a garda clearance check...
    Thing is, I travelled for three years in Asia & Oz and the lady that's processing my clearance check for me said I must put down all my addresses?! But I don't even know/remember half of them.. How does this work when you haven't been in the one place for a while?! Do they actually go and check where you were in Asia?!

I'm not sure if it's easier to just say I wasn't travelling and put down my home address?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

If its August 2012 you haven't a hope in hell of getting a Garda check back.

August 2014 maybe...

IIRC the rule was 6 months but if you have a gap you're going to need to explain it. Put down the most significant ones imo - thats not legal or perhaps even good advice just what I was told to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

If its August 2012 you haven't a hope in hell of getting a Garda check back.

August 2014 maybe...

a bit extreme, but it does take 3 months tho', well mine did.

Re; the OP's quandry, you need to furnish some sort of ozzie address (if you read between the lines);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

throw me €50 and i'll get my uncle to sort it for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

The children in the camp will be grown up by the time you get that processed. You might get a police certificate in around 10 days.

About the forgotten addresses maybe give the a ring and see what they say:

Garda Central Vetting Unit
    Racecourse Road
    Thurles
    Tipperary
    Ireland
    Tel:+353 (0)504 27300
    Locall:1890 488 488

I know lads waiting 6 months for RDF but maybe that confined to RDF applications.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

what does RDF stand for?

Reserve Defense Forces

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

AFAIK Only your prospective employer can apply for the clearance on your behalf.

If on the other hand you needed this for a visa application a police certificate of character would suffice which usually take 10-14 days to process.

The clearance from the Garda vetting unit about 6-8 weeks I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭lynyg18

so stupid how long it takes in ireland, I am in a similar situation just back from aus and need it too! i put down just one address , ya dont need to put addresses down if you were travelling ppl dont put down if they stay in holiday homes etc, just put down one address in aus, then theyl contact the police there. Im sure ppl who come to ireland from different countries dont write all adresses. i had clearance in aus in a few days, and a id card with a number on it which future employers could check i was still clear online brilliant system, dont see why were gona change the constitution to protect the child when our clearance system doesnt ther are plenty of jobs which let you start work without it as it takes to long to get!! plus the way you can only get it through a job is ridiculous so ya wait for a job offer then hafta wait for clearance not a good system for anyone.

Advertisement