Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Wireless Broadband and Netgear Extender

Options
  • 18-07-2012 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I have Three Wireless Broadband for my troubles (can't get wired BB as I'm in the country and Eircom won't provide it!) and although in general I receive a good signal I do have a few 'dead zones' in my house.
    I decided last Monday to purchase a Netgear Extender to try and get rid of these 'dead zones'. I purchased in PCW in Airside in Swords. The salesperson asked me initially if I cable or telephone? Obviously, there is no requirement for Wireless BB in Dublin!!
    Anyway, I digress. Having purchased the Netgear Extender WN3000RP I brought it home and started to set it up. All seemed to be going ok until it asked me to connect to the Internet to check if all worked. No luck. I had created the Extender Network but it was a case of I could either connect to the original newtwork allowing Internet access or the new network which only gave me local access.
    I sent an e-mail to Netgear on Tuesday night and got a reply with directions what to do using the ethernet cable rather than setting it up wirelessly. No good.
    I went back on to the Netgear website again and this time there was 'Live Chat' available. So I took the plunge!!
    3 HOURS LATER....the Tech Expert came to the conclusion that I should return the Extender to PCW and get it replaced as he reckons it might be faulty. I personally don't think so, but I'm not the expert!

Would anyone out there have any ideas if there is a conflict between the Netgear Extender WN3000RP and the Three Wireless Broadband Router (Huawei B260A)? There was no problem setting up the new network. The problem was that it just couldn't connect to the Internet.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    alanladd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

few things aren't clear here, when you are extending the network then technically you have 1 network, how do you have original and new network. for what i understood, there is a communication between both units but no internet on the extender, this could be down to the default gateway ip address. I've had similar issues with customers like that but that what solves my problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 alanladd

Sorry akamossie, I'm not really up with it when it comes to Networks.
    Yes, you are right the original Network, which we will call TEST is there and receives the Broadband Signal. The Extender, which is called TEST_EXT, is also visible. However, if I connect to TEST_EXT I cannot access the Internet. DO I need to configure the IP addresses of the router (by which I am presently receiveing the WWW signal) and the Extender?
    From what you say this seems to have worked for you.

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

alanladd wrote: »
    Yes, you are right the original Network, which we will call TEST is there and receives the Broadband Signal. The Extender, which is called TEST_EXT, is also visible. However, if I connect to TEST_EXT I cannot access the Internet. DO I need to configure the IP addresses of the router (by which I am presently receiveing the WWW signal) and the Extender?

Cheers,

I have been looking into the manual as I haven't used this particular model. Have tried option 1 or 2.

I suggest you do a reset. And you need to take few notes from the original network, such as ssid, wireless encryption and password. and follow step 2 from the manual.

akamossie wrote: »

Cheers,

I have been looking into the manual as I haven't used this particular model. Have tried option 1 or 2.

I suggest you do a reset. And you need to take few notes from the original network, such as ssid, wireless encryption and password. and follow step 2 from the manual.

Have done all that. Option 1 I can't do as my router doesn't have a WPS button, I have followed Option 2 so many times now I could do it on my sleep. I have done a reset on more than one ocassion and I know my Router settings off by heart!!
    :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What happens if you enter the same SSID (name) for the extended network as the one you're connecting to. I've read the instructions pdf and it don't look like this device is a true repeater, it looks like it connects wirelessly and the firmware creates a second extended network by default.

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    What happens if you enter the same SSID (name) for the extended network as the one you're connecting to. I've read the instructions pdf and it don't look like this device is a true repeater, it looks like it connects wirelessly and the firmware creates a second extended network by default.

Hi PogMoThoin,
    When you do the set-up it automatically creates an entension of the existing network e.g if your network was called TEST then the extension is set to TEST_EXT. You could change the name to anything you like though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Hi PogMoThoin,
    When you do the set-up it automatically creates an entension of the existing network e.g if your network was called TEST then the extension is set to TEST_EXT. You could change the name to anything you like though.

That's what I mean, change it to the same, remove the "_EXT". A true repeater repeats the same network name

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Hi PogMoThoin,

That's what I mean, change it to the same, remove the "_EXT". A true repeater repeats the same network name

As yes, I see where you are coming from. I'm not sure. Will have to try it out when I get back home. Will let you know.
    Thanks. :-)

Ok, finally got around to sorting out the issue.
    Well, as I guessed the Extender was not broken - would love to say it wasn't the issue but I don't know enough about Networks to give such an answer.

I have just (the last two hours) gone at it and seem to have it sorted.

From what I can see the devices that wish to connect to the Internet via the Extender cannot do so when the Extender is the extension of the Internet connection.
    So what I tried was using a Wireless G Router (in this case a Belkin F5D7230_4) as another step between the devices and the Internet Router.
    And, so far, touch wood, etc. it seems to work.
    I have connected using the Wireless G Router and have been able to connect to the Internet as well.
    So here's hoping that it will remain operable for the forseeable future.

:-)

Advertisement