Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

African Phone scammers

Options
  • 18-07-2012 4:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I got a phone call this morning from Djibouti in Africa, 00 253 253820308, wikipedia says it's the Djibouti country code.

I am seriously p*d off at this as they rang at 8.10am and I was still asleep :mad: They were wishing to inform me of a virus infection in my pc. It is some type of scam to get hold of your credit card details no doubt or implant spyware on your PC. I told them to get stuffed as I was sure it was your typical Nigerian type scam but was surprised when I found it originated in Djibouti.

Just putting it out there if anyone comes across this number to beware!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

very well known scam, you'd have to be a fool to fall for them

See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837564

I generally act thick as hell and play along until they hang up out of pure frustration, my reasoning is while I'm wasting their time they can't be scamming somebody else :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 janiceross

Thanks for sharing this information. I did read about this fake Microsoft representatives calling people and putting up a virus story and offer to help for them to gain access to your computer or get the victim to disclose financial information. But I think with all the reminders and warnings imposed by the authorities, people are now smarter and more skeptical when it comes to suspicious calls. This gives these scammers lesser chances of stealing somebody else's money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

My mam plays along and asks them to wait while she gets her laptop. Then she just does some hoovering and leaves the line open. She figures the longer she can keep them on the less time they have to scam anyone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 janiceross

And I forgot t share. I received a call like that, too, from 206-456-0661 and this man who claimed his name was Derrick told me Microsoft detected a virus in my computer. He told me it was gonna cause my OS to crash down and then he offered to help. I knew right away he was bluffing. I should know, I don't have a Windows computer. I got a mac.

But I played along and asked him to stay on the line while 'I turn on my computer.' Then I pretended to call the police using another phone line, pretended to report the scammer who was calling me right that moment and that police were on their way to the caller's location. I'm sure Derrick heard me because when I got back to him, he already hung up!:D:D:D

When I looked up his phone number, sure enough, it came up at http://www.callercenter.com/206-456-0661.html with more than 20 complaints from different people. Wow!

I wonder how he was still able to call me after all the complaints people posted against him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

janiceross wrote: »
    Then I pretended to call the police using another phone line, pretended to report the scammer who was calling me right that moment and that police were on their way to the caller's location. I'm sure Derrick heard me because when I got back to him, he already hung up!:D:D:D

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
    . . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
    . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
    . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
    . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
    . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
    . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
    . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
    . . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
    . . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
    . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
    . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
    . . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
    . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
    . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
    . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
    ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
    . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--

• Advertisement
Advertisement