Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing Maths( Applied) or Stats as your major

Options
  • 18-07-2012 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Just wondering which would be more beneficial in the long run to pick. Have to pick one of these options for 3rd and 4th year in a couple of weeks and was wondering which has more earning potential etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Having a degree with a high level of maths is usuful for a wide variety of jobs. However if you want my personal opinion, I'd major in stats for good employment prospects. Where I work (a university) there is jobs notice board that is full of companies looking for stats-heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Any idea on the average wages they would be earning??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

eoins23456 wrote: »
    Any idea on the average wages they would be earning??

Last year I was reading some job listings and advertisements online for statisticians (I'm only 18 btw :P ) and I saw some that offered up to 75euro an hour to full-time/part-time statisticians on the continent (France/Italy and thereabouts). *Hoping that is the regular trend for stats majors*

Advertisement