Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic Car Newbie

Options
  • 18-07-2012 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi, First time posting here.I'm new to the classic car game and I'm looking to buy a vintage VW Beetle in the next few months. I don't have much knowledge of cars at all really, let alone know how to maintain one. I'm looking to ditch my modern(ish) car for a Beetle as an everyday car. I don't do much mileage at all. The thing is I don't want to get ripped off when I go to buy one. Can any of ye tell me what kind of things I should be looking out for? What are the right questions I should be asking? From your experience, what are the pitfalls of having a classic Beetle as your everyday car?Thanks for reading. Looking forward to hearing what ye have to say.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 coolpaddy

Sorry for the lack of spaces in the post. It wouldn't let me break it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

I think a Beetle is a reasonably good choice.

In the boom time, they were very highly priced but have dropped back to reasonable levels. That said, in my experience, you are better off buying the best one you can find.

For the Beetle:
    - lots of experts (real experts ;-)) in the country.
    - easy access to parts in the UK over the web
    - easy to service your self
    - you'll be the local petrol station hero.

Against:
    - Lots of different versions (mexican etc) and swimmers (not just beetles)
    so original ones might be hard to source.
    - in general, a classic will be harder work in the cold/damp days of winter.
    (wipers, demist, stopping)
    - safety (if thats important to you)

To be honest, the search for a good car is often as enjoyable as the day you buy it !

:Lots on donedeal at the moment. Also Emilios Beetles have run a business in Ireland for many years.....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/find/vintagecars/for-sale/Ireland/beetle?sort=publishDate+desc&start=30

[ Other cars worth considering are small Fords, Mini]

What about this one ? VRT not paid....
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3607760

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

rust.. rust.. rust...

its your biggest enemy

if you're thinking beetle then what about a mini?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

trev44 wrote: »
    rust.. rust.. rust...

its your biggest enemy

if you're thinking beetle then what about a mini?

beetles are lovely as are mini's but have a wee bit more space... and prefared looks of one over the other is the buys choice i would assume.

beetles are super simple mechanically, wiring and such is minimal as is everything in classics ;)

membership with the AA and a few basic tools would be a must for a newbie.

originality is key, Search you're specific Year and model extensively as originality means more to worth then condition imho...

get an experienced mechanic to go with ye on first purchase. Though one mans rust is anothers restoration... too many cars require too much work for the faint of heart and eventually get broken for parts... But i think something needing minor yet time consuming work would be right up you're street and theirs plenty of lazy classic lovers around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

every so often someone comes in here with the idea that they are going to get rid of the daily driver because it'll work out cheeper to run a classic! If that is why you are thinking of buying a classic savings in tax insurance and a lack of test in some cases will not cover the time and money spent on keeping an older car on the road. If however you want to buy the car because you have a genuine interest I'd recommend the mini what it lacks in space it makes up for in character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 coolpaddy

kyote00 wrote: »
    I think a Beetle is a reasonably good choice.

In the boom time, they were very highly priced but have dropped back to reasonable levels. That said, in my experience, you are better off buying the best one you can find.

For the Beetle:
    - lots of experts (real experts ;-)) in the country.
    - easy access to parts in the UK over the web
    - easy to service your self
    - you'll be the local petrol station hero.

Against:
    - Lots of different versions (mexican etc) and swimmers (not just beetles)
    so original ones might be hard to source.
    - in general, a classic will be harder work in the cold/damp days of winter.
    (wipers, demist, stopping)
    - safety (if thats important to you)

To be honest, the search for a good car is often as enjoyable as the day you buy it !

:Lots on donedeal at the moment. Also Emilios Beetles have run a business in Ireland for many years.....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/find/vintagecars/for-sale/Ireland/beetle?sort=publishDate+desc&start=30

[ Other cars worth considering are small Fords, Mini]

What about this one ? VRT not paid....
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3607760

Thanks for all the replies. It's much appreciated.

I've got my heart set on a Beetle. I've wanted one for years. A mini wouldn't be very practical to be honest. It's a bit small for me.

I'm going to take my time choosing The right one. I've my eye on one or two already. I've a friend who's a mechanic who can come along and advise me. I'm not gonna rush in and buy the first shiny looking car I like!

I know that classics require more attention than modern cars and I'm not afraid to put a bit of time and effort into looking after one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

alot of mechanics from the last 20+ years learned their stuff on beetles, but beware...

even the cleanist can have its hidden gremlins, so for every grand you spend put 100 away just incase, if it never breaks its money towards maintenence or modding to you liking, if it does go wrong, you have a few euros towards the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

It is a good few years since I was last in a Beetle, but I wouldn't have said there was any more internal space in a Beetle than a Mini. Do go for the Beetle though if it is what appeals more

Advertisement