Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vinyls

Options
  • 18-07-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭

Does anyone on here buy vinyls? I've only ever bought cds or downloaded songs. I'm interested in getting some vinyl copies of albums. Lots of artists seem to be releasing them as an extra option these days, and I've come across a few classics for decent prices on websites.

I have no way of playing them so I'd have to invest in that as well. Any ideas for a player?

Are vinyls worth splashing out on? Is the sound quality much better than your average cd/download?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a complete novice in this area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I'd love to be one of those guys with the massive vinyl collection. You would need to grow a mustache though and I am not willing to invest in all that comes with it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I had a brief experience buying vinyl, but it had to come to an end unfortunately.

Vinyl has a distinct sound and it's an excellent feeling to put a needle on a record and hearing 'that' noise.
    If you want to try as a collector, there are some units you can get now that connect to you PC or sound system, start off cheap (i think they are under the €100 mark) and see how you get on. You can then decide later to invest further. You could then also go for the option of getting turntables and a mixer so you could start scratching and juggling. This is a more costly enterprise as you would need some decent speakers too.
    There is also Serato and others like it now where basically you spin a special vinyl record, and play an mp3 through it via your computer.

So it all depends which direction you want to take. And just a word of warning, buying vinyl can be extremely addictive. Look up digging videos of Premo and DJ Muggs and Walt and Evil dee on youtube....oh and Questlove as well. You will be amazed at the volume of records they have.

I have a good friend who is a vinyl junkie and has all-sorts in his collection now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'll look into the units that connect to the PC. I might try and convince my dad that he needs to buy one :P.

I've seen those videos before. I remember seeing DJ Shadow crate digging in the basement of some store. It's crazy the amount that they have. I just watched a video there of a guy who owns the biggest collection in the world. He has 1 million albums and 1.5 million singles. It's worth $50 million.

If I start it and I like it then I could well become quite addicted to it. I've a ridiculous amount of cds, books and DVDs that I've bought for no reason over the years.

I like the idea of getting physical copies of albums. I hate downloads. You miss out on seeing the cover, the tracklist, the booklet inside and all that. I wouldn't mind getting a few vinyls and expanding my collection that way. Sitting down at home with your iPod just isn't the same really.

There seems to be a good shop up in Manchester called Vinyl Exchange. I'm hoping to get up there for a match during the year so I might pop in there and have a look around the shop. There is almost nothing in Kilkenny and I don't want to buy on the internet yet. I'd like to get my hands on the vinyls before I buy them.

Hopefully I don't become addicted to it. The odd few will do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Luckily there's a massive hi fi system in our sitting room with a turntable, cd player and 2 tape players so i dont need to invest in something to play them on, and there's another turntable in my bedroom, i dont know where that came from though.

Unfortunately i dont own any hip hop vinyls, only a couple of stone roses albums and some of their singles, and the oul one doesnt own a credit card i can use to buy vinyl so that's another problem. I remember Abbey Discs in town and northside in coolock used to sell a shít load of vinyl, unfortunately they're closed down a couple of years now. I dont know any other spots in town that sell them either. But i also intend on building a collection of vinyl to go with my cd and dvd collection, it only seems right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Vinyl sounds better than cd/mp3 all day.. i collected vinyl from about 89-2006 and yes it is addictive but i found it to be less addictive when there was a cheaper more readily available alternative around (cd, mp3). In the end i found it hard to justify spending all that cash on records. All in all im just shy of 3000 in my collection of all styles of music.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I've got a vinyl addiction. I've an estimated 7000. Not including 45s. probably 800 45s or so.
    My show is called 'Passion of the Crates', some of you have clocked it already.
    Anyway, turns out I happen to be selling a few doubles I have. Here is the video of what I'm selling, a few are already gone but still some great ones left:
    http://youtu.be/j55VFfzi6mQ

I'd say so of you might like the Ninja Tune ones.
    All individually priced. You can PM me if you are interested in any.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just a reminder that we have adverts.ie for buying and selling, you should post that info/video there.
    Feel free to discuss buying and selling via PM, just not on thread.

There are some great records in there!

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Just a reminder that we have adverts.ie for buying and selling, you should post that info/video there.
    Feel free to discuss buying and selling via PM, just not on thread.

There are some great records in there!

Sorry man, yeah, they are on averts already here:
    http://www.adverts.ie/vinyl/various-records-for-sale/1848040

I've just been having a look about out of curiosity and this looks decent:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ion-Profile-LP-Vinyl-Archiving-Turntable/dp/B0029QRA1U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342697767&sr=8-1

Can connect to your PC or Stereo system, copy vinyl to mp3 as well.

But be careful, from the looks of things, other models advertise that they have USB, but it's not for playback, only for ripping to mp3. This one does both.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

im very interested in this aswell, is there any good websites to buy vinyls from?

• Advertisement

IMHO if you want to start collecting records get yourself a decent deck and any old mixer. The mixer serves to boost the signal so you can wire it into your computer or existing stereo, or even both. All the ripping to wav or straight to mp3 software you need can be found for free online.
    Get a good headshell and needle for your deck too. I honestly wouldn't trust the needles on those USB jobs.
    Just my opinion. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Probably have around 4000/5000 records mainly 12's but alot of albums,i would say 85% of it is hip hop.

you can't beat the ceremony of taking a record from it's sleeve putting it on a turntable and dropping the needle on it and then taking your hand and manipulating that sound lol.unfortunately my addiction for buying it dropped off some time ago and 99% of my music these days is obtained on mp3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Sorry to be pedantic.
    Vinyl not vinyls.

I bought my first record in 1981 and pretty much every week since then.
    CDs happily co-exist with records in my collection. MP3s can fu*ck off.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Sorry to be pedantic.
    Vinyl not vinyls.

MP3s can fu*ck off.

Agreed. :pac:

Just a heads up for the vinyl cats in here on a budget,

I was downstairs in RAGE records on fade st and they got a decent size €1 bin with a fair amount of hip hop and some r&b. I will admit that I scooped up the lion's share, I dropped €45 on 45 records. 1 Nas, 1 Loud sampler with Protect Ya Neck and Alkaholiks, a few Busta Rhymes, Some 50, some Jay Z, some Black Rob, WC etc and a fair few I picked up just cos they were only a euro. I did leave a decent few though so worth heading in if you have the time and are near enough.

You're welcome. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

I've started buying vinyl over the summer. Not just Hip Hop, but Drum & Bass, and Techno too.

I love vinyl, from the smell of it, the sound quality, not to mention owning a physical copy of the music rather than a digital copy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Sorry to be pedantic.
    Vinyl not vinyls.

This is not being pedantic. It is the right thing to say and it drives me mad hearing anyone saying 'vinyls'. So far in my life it has shown to be a sign that someone is new to the world of vinyl (fair enough) or someone who is just a muppet. 'Just get ten classic vinyls' - if you have been collecting and into music for any length of time you just don't say stupid sh1t like that.

Rant over (feeling better already)

This is not being pedantic. It is the right thing to say and it drives me mad hearing anyone saying 'vinyls'. So far in my life it has shown to be a sign that someone is new to the world of vinyl (fair enough) or someone who is just a muppet. 'Just get ten classic vinyls' - if you have been collecting and into music for any length of time you just don't say stupid sh1t like that.

Rant over (feeling better already)

A mate of mine who is a well established Drum N Bass DJ calls them Vinyls :) But i think that he is being ironic when he says it. At least I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EvL

I am considering selling off two cases of vinyl, mostly original pressings from the 1960'-1990's, a mix of world, folk, jazz, rock and acid rock. I know I'd make more posting them on eBay and selling off one at a time, but I'm moving and don't want to take them along. Any suggestions on dealers in the Dublin area who buy them for resale? Like, who will give a fair value?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

EvL wrote: »
    I am considering selling off two cases of vinyl, mostly original pressings from the 1960'-1990's, a mix of world, folk, jazz, rock and acid rock. I know I'd make more posting them on eBay and selling off one at a time, but I'm moving and don't want to take them along. Any suggestions on dealers in the Dublin area who buy them for resale? Like, who will give a fair value?

Thanks

Shops
    Spindizzy in George's St Arcade
    All City in Crow St [for the jazz]
    Freebird in Wicklow St

Any chance of a list? Sounds like an interesting selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 EvL

Shops
    Spindizzy in George's St Arcade
    All City in Crow St [for the jazz]
    Freebird in Wicklow St

Any chance of a list? Sounds like an interesting selection.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try and get time to make a list, but can't promise right now. Lots to do, and I'm juggling!

Advertisement