Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logarithmic differentiation

Options
  • 18-07-2012 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

y=xe^x^2/(3x+2)(x+4)

I'm stuck on this bit.

Ln(xe^x^2) does this become x^2ln(xe)?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Inbox wrote: »
    y=xe^x^2/(3x+2)(x+4)

I'm stuck on this bit.

Ln(xe^x^2) does this become x^2ln(xe)?

Thanks

To begin you need to know the laws of logs.

Anyway,

[latex]ln(xe^{x^2})=ln(x)+ln(e^{x^2})[/latex]

=[latex]ln(x)+x^2ln(e)[/latex]

=[latex]ln(x)+x^2[/latex]

Note: I haven't done ANY differentiating. Just borke down that statement that you wanted using the laws of logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

I just read your op again. Can I ask why you are using logarithmic differentiation? Just use the quotient rule!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

TheBody wrote: »
    I just read your op again. Can I ask why you are using logarithmic differentiation? Just use the quotient rule!!

Hi, that's what the question was and that was from a past exam paper i was doing.

So the lecturer was wrong asking it that way. i will try using the quotient rule and see if i get the same answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

TheBody wrote: »
    To begin you need to know the laws of logs.

Anyway,

[latex]ln(xe^{x^2})=ln(x)+ln(e^{x^2})[/latex]

=[latex]ln(x)+x^2ln(e)[/latex]

=[latex]ln(x)+x^2[/latex]

Note: I haven't done ANY differentiating. Just borke down that statement that you wanted using the laws of logs.

Thanks , i only seem to have the basic rules. that's a great help.

Advertisement