Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4S battery life question

Options
  • 18-07-2012 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

I went to sleep last night at 12am with my phone alarm set for 5.50am. The battery was probably 1/2 full. I woke up myself at 7am, the phone was as dead as a door nail. Missed an important meeting at work and my boss let rip at me really bad. Blaming the iPhone for not waking me sounded childish also.

Just wondering, should the battery not have held out for under 6 hours when half full? All apps, Bluetooth etc. were switched off.

I've had the phone for 10 months so maybe it's just deteriorating?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Strange for an iPhone to die like that, but i've had it happen to my old 3G. It happened to me because of a dodgy process hanging and eating up my entire battery over the space of an hour or so. You could fix it by turning it off and on (no need to now as the phone turned itself off).

Or you could have a faulty battery (unlikely though)

iPhone batteries don't deteriorate that fast. I've had a iPhone 4 now for nearly 2 years and my battery is still going strong. Do you not plug it in to charge every night? Is it jailbroken?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

gebbel wrote: »
    I went to sleep last night at 12am with my phone alarm set for 5.50am. The battery was probably 1/2 full. I woke up myself at 7am, the phone was as dead as a door nail. Missed an important meeting at work and my boss let rip at me really bad. Blaming the iPhone for not waking me sounded childish also.

Just wondering, should the battery not have held out for under 6 hours when half full? All apps, Bluetooth etc. were switched off.

Thanks.

Were you on wifi, or 3G/ Edge.
    Leaving mine overnight on 3G / Edge has a serious impact on battery versus being on Wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Mine was on overnight, connected to WiFi with bluetooth also on. Was at 100% last night, and 83% this morning. It's possible you had some background Apps running?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

If you're in an area with poor coverage it'll really murder your battery life. I know whenever I go home to visit the folks that if I leave my phone in one particular bedroom with very thick walls that the battery will crap out overnight (from say 50-60% after a days normal use)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Strange for an iPhone to die like that, but i've had it happen to my old 3G. It happened to me because of a dodgy process hanging and eating up my entire battery over the space of an hour or so. You could fix it by turning it off and on (no need to now as the phone turned itself off).

Or you could have a faulty battery (unlikely though)

iPhone batteries don't deteriorate that fast. I've had a iPhone 4 now for nearly 2 years and my battery is still going strong. Do you not plug it in to charge every night? Is it jailbroken?
    4S's battery life is much worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Mactard wrote: »
    If you're in an area with poor coverage it'll really murder your battery life. I know whenever I go home to visit the folks that if I leave my phone in one particular bedroom with very thick walls that the battery will crap out overnight (from say 50-60% after a days normal use)

That probably explains it, coverage in my bedroom is crap. Lesson learned.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Get yourself one of the dock radios which will charge it for you overnight as well. problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Hay_man

My 4s battery does last me roughly 22 hours from 100% to the red

Thats with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi left on over night too.

I think if you over charge (say leave it on overnight) will damage the battery ?

Takes my iPhone about two hours to charge fully.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Hay_man wrote: »

I think if you over charge (say leave it on overnight) will damage the battery ?

Correct, continuously charging your iphone (or any phone using the same type of battery) to 100% will shorten it's lifespan more rapidly, leaving it on charge after 100% means it'll drop to like 99% then top up to 100% again on a continuous trickle - not great for the battery in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Brego

Charging lithium batteries over night does NOTHING. They cannot be conditioned either. If you leave the iPhone charging over night, it'll be grand. I personally wouldn't do it though, just in case it does damage it. Many Apple employees and other experts have said over charging (or, leaving your phone on charge when it hits 100%) does nothing.

iOS6 Beta 3 is out now to developers, and it said to squash a lot of the battery problems!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Brego wrote: »
    Charging lithium batteries over night does NOTHING. They cannot be conditioned either. If you leave the iPhone charging over night, it'll be grand. I personally wouldn't do it though, just in case it does damage it. Many Apple employees and other experts have said over charging (or, leaving your phone on charge when it hits 100%) does nothing.

iOS6 Beta 3 is out now to developers, and it said to squash a lot of the battery problems!

+1, this is true, it doesn't do anything by leaving it in overnight despite what many people say.

Also, i've noticed a decent enough battery increase in iOS6 B3. But that's running on my 3GS so i can't say for sure what it would be like on an 4s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

gebbel wrote: »

Thanks.

I always stick mine on Airplane mode at night, loses around 1-2%. If that's not an option quit all apps before heading to bed. You should see a marked difference. Some apps are harmless but one or two running in the backgound over the course of an 8 hour sleep could use up quite a percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Also, i've noticed a decent enough battery increase in iOS6 B3. But that's running on my 3GS so i can't say for sure what it would be like on an 4s

its terrible on my ip4s, 100-20% in about 12 hours,

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Brego

Whats the craic fellas.

I think I have found the solution to this problem. Airplane mode pretty much solves everything though, so if you want the easy way to do it, go for that.

1) Turn off Ping in Settings>General>Restrictions.

2) Turn off Location Services.

3) Turn off all not used notifications. (Also, if you use Facebook, go to Settings and scroll to the bottom, click the app, go to push notifications and turn off all the options that you don't need.)

4) Go to Mail, Contacts and Calendar and set emails from Push to Manual.

This is the most important one; if you have downloaded the dedicated "Podcasts" app from the App Store, delete it. It's a know hog of data, and subsequently battery life. It's a bug in the app, they are working on fixing it.

iOS 6 should be releasing around 26th of September, and this will improve battery life. I'm using iOS6 Beta 3 myself on my 4s, and the battery life is amazing (54% left, Usage at 3h 20m, Standby 2 days 11h).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭ablelocks

if you do want some location services (eg maps, siri) turn them on, turn off the rest.

Then go to settings\locations services\system services - turn off setting time zone - i read an article the other day that said this was a major battery hog. I've turned off all the services on that page except mobile network search (not sure what exactly it's for, but it sounds like it should be on).

I did this on my wifes iphone 4 the other day and she has seen a significant improvement on battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

settings\locations services\system services does anyone know what all these are, and what effect they have turning them off? Or a link to it?

In ios 6 beta there are 8 options. I have just one turned on the rest off.

Advertisement