Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for small community BBQ event

Options
  • 17-07-2012 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi.
    We have a local community BBQ in our area every year. Food, few drinks and bouncy castle for the kids. Its a great way to meet the locals and newcomers and have a bit of crac on a sunny summers evening :).
    We hold it in a local farmers field which is more or less central to all. This year we were hoping to bring in a few more people with the intention of fund raising for the national school. We expect upto about 50 people in all. The farmer rightly wants insurance in place for the event. Can you advise if insurance is available for such a small event. Who we should contact to arrange and approx how much we would expect to pay. Sadly the event will be canceled if insurance is too high.frown.gif
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Have a look here:
    http://www.incvf.com/

Dublin City Council Community Forums offer insurance for community groups for events which was negotiated by the above organisation

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Try ODON too for a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

pmeade1 wrote: »
    Hi.
    We have a local community BBQ in our area every year. Food, few drinks and bouncy castle for the kids. Its a great way to meet the locals and newcomers and have a bit of crac on a sunny summers evening :).
    We hold it in a local farmers field which is more or less central to all. This year we were hoping to bring in a few more people with the intention of fund raising for the national school. We expect upto about 50 people in all. The farmer rightly wants insurance in place for the event. Can you advise if insurance is available for such a small event. Who we should contact to arrange and approx how much we would expect to pay. Sadly the event will be canceled if insurance is too high.frown.gif
    thanks

It is kind of sad that every, even smallest event, has to be insured.

I do, however, appreciate owner of the field asked for it.

Hope you will find insurer to cover this event at good price, it is a matter of time when we will have to buy policy for wedding, or inviting people over - be it home warming party, or just few friends having a drink...

I know my post did not help you at all, but these little things make me angry sometimes. Good luck, and let us know if you had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

wonski wrote: »
    It is kind of sad that every, even smallest event, has to be insured.

I do, however, appreciate owner of the field asked for it.

Hope you will find insurer to cover this event at good price, it is a matter of time when we will have to buy policy for wedding, or inviting people over - be it home warming party, or just few friends having a drink...

I know my post did not help you at all, but these little things make me angry sometimes. Good luck, and let us know if you had any problems.

It makes you angry that if someone has an accident through no fault of their own at an even you can be safe in the knowledge that their is money their to cover their treatment/recovery? Get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

chris85 wrote: »
    It makes you angry that if someone has an accident through no fault of their own at an even you can be safe in the knowledge that their is money their to cover their treatment/recovery? Get real.

I don't think you understand what i said.

What kind of accident can you have attending local charity event - in this case local BBQ???

I was talking about the fact that people become too soft, or too greedy in most cases...
    Hence my understanding of local farmer/land owner to request insurance policy before an event...

How about we ban BBQ's, and bouncing castles to reduce ther number of accidents?

Hope you get my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

wonski wrote: »
    I don't think you understand what i said.

What kind of accident can you have attending local charity event - in this case local BBQ???

I was talking about the fact that people become too soft, or too greedy in most cases...
    Hence my understanding of local farmer/land owner to request insurance policy before an event...

How about we ban BBQ's, and bouncing castles to reduce ther number of accidents?

Hope you get my point.

They are low risk accidents and the insurance premium generally reflects this. Having a BBQ or friends over for a drink is interesting point as most have house insurance which would cover accidents. You are almost covered at any event/pub/restaurant/house you are in. Its low risk in most of these trivial cases but what happens when the freak accident happens and the victim has to fork out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 pmeade1

I got a quote today and it was bad news. The cost to cover a BBQ for approx 50 people is about 250 euro. If we drop the bouncy castle it may be a little better. Bottom line is we have to forget the fund raising community BBQ as we can not cover the cost not to mind making a few quid for the national school. It really is sad that insurance and the suing culture has been let get to this state. There seems to be no common sense anymore.
    Thank you for your suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

To put it in to perspective, out of €250 the Govt will take around €10 as a levy. The broker will probably take €40 to cover their earnings and administration costs. That leaves €200 for the immediate insurer. Out of that, the insurer will pass some of the risk over to a reinsurer (just like a bookie laying off a bet) in case of a catastrophic claim for around €50.

This leaves around €150 for the insurer. Given to high level of compliance required by the financial regulator, the cost of a staff member complying with regulations with a bog standard policy issue would be around €25. Then there is the usual light, heat, post etc and I'd be surprised if you are lest with €100.

If a person puts in a claim, it is going to take and awful lot of €100 policies to cover an award of (say) €20k plus associated legal costs

Just Saying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

no matter what you say it's still a lot for a small community who are trying to fund raise for a "bet" that will probably never happen. Just sayin'

Advertisement