Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency tax question

Options
  • 17-07-2012 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Looked at some past threads but didn't see anything familiar.

I just started a job and was told to contact the tax office to not pay emergency tax.

I checked the Revenue website and it seems to suggest that I need to fill out form 12a (application for a tax credit certificate).

However, I remember working two years ago for a year for a different company and all I had to do was ring up the tax folk and quote my employer's registration number (I think it was) and it was that simple.

So I'm just wondering if I can skip the form and have a quick call instead? Would've rang the Revenue earlier if I knew they closed at 5:30.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Meat wrote: »
    Looked at some past threads but didn't see anything familiar.

I just started a job and was told to contact the tax office to not pay emergency tax.

I checked the Revenue website and it seems to suggest that I need to fill out form 12a (application for a tax credit certificate).

However, I remember working two years ago for a year for a different company and all I had to do was ring up the tax folk and quote my employer's registration number (I think it was) and it was that simple.

So I'm just wondering if I can skip the form and have a quick call instead? Would've rang the Revenue earlier if I knew they closed at 5:30.

A form 12a is to register yourself for the first time for tax purposes. As you are already registered, you don't need to fill it in again. You can phone or email with your details to get the new job registered.
    You will need your PPS, the date you started, how often paid and the employers paye registered number for your new employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Meat

Ah, I see. Thanks for the help!

Advertisement