Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is maths a major part of the psychology course?

Options
  • 17-07-2012 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm going into 6th year in September and will be filling out my CAO. I was considering putting English and psychology TSM as my first choice, but now I'm not so sure.

I'll be dropping back to pass maths in September as it's not exactly my strongest subject. (I failed my summer exam.) I loathe maths in school and if it is a major part of psychology I'm not sure if I will like it.

What is it like to study psychology at Trinity? I often find myself researching psychology online or reading books about it, but I have no idea what it's like to study as a subject. I'm much better at essay based subjects such as English, history and religion rather than logical ones like maths. The only science subject I enjoy is biology.

I'm definitely studying English (if I get the points :p) but I don't want to study it as a single honours course. Would I be safer picking history or philosophy or a language instead of psychology?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭whendovescry

Maths isn't really a necessary skill for psychology, but statistics and computer work make up a large part of your credits (nearly half if memory serves). Psychology Is not a 'hard' science so it is governed less by formulae and more by personal interpretation.

They groom you for research in Trinity so if your interest is only superficial, maybe you'd be better advised to picking another moderatorship.

Advertisement