Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using a smart charger with a NiMh

Options
  • 17-07-2012 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

ok iv got a "intellgent battery manager" to charge my lipo batterys and it works greet all you have to do is input the voltage and the amp's of the lipo and hit charge.
    but it says it can also do NiMh batterys so iv inputed the voltage (9.6v) and the amp's(1.4amh) and keep a eye on it, but it charged it to 12.23v i tryed a 2ed one and the same thing but this time 12.59v both stayed at 1.4amh's, they got a bit warm (only a bit)
    is this the normal ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

batteries usually get a little warm when charging, how ever if they are getting hot you are charging them too fast/quick. if this is the case lower the ampage setting to slow the charge down.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭mafiaboy

thermo wrote: »
    batteries usually get a little warm when charging, how ever if they are getting hot you are charging them too fast/quick. if this is the case lower the ampage setting to slow the charge down.
    Thanks Thermo
    Is it normal for it to charge upto 12v

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

Its is normal for a fully charged 9.6v battery to read in excess of 12v
    Each single cell within the battery is rated at a nominal 1.2v and when charged are 1.5v and often due to manufacturing tolerences often are in excess so they can even be as much as 1.6v
    So add up all 8 cells and it is almost always going to be in excess of 12v

I always set the ampage on my charger to approx 75% of the batteries capacity so as to allow for a more gentle charge and generate less internal heat
    I use an Imax B6

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭mafiaboy

Deburca
    That make a let of sence,
    Thanks a lot lads,

Advertisement