Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audio Recording - Dedicated DAW VS In Suite

Options
  • 17-07-2012 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm just getting into the game capture thing but am currently trying to get all my ducks in a row and get some semblance of a plan around workflow.

I've got a lot of experience working with things like Photoshop and music programs such as Ableton/Cubase/Logic but this is the first time I'll be marrying moving images with audio.

For the Video editing itself I'll be going with Sony Vegas Pro (I've seen it mentioned repeatedly around the net as a good option - anyone with any advise around this I would really appreciate it) and I'm aware that you can record the audio directly into this.

What I am wondering is would I be better off recording direct to my dedicated Audio programs as I am assuming I will have better options to EQ, Compress the sound etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Hey guys, I'm just getting into the game capture thing but am currently trying to get all my ducks in a row and get some semblance of a plan around workflow.

I've got a lot of experience working with things like Photoshop and music programs such as Ableton/Cubase/Logic but this is the first time I'll be marrying moving images with audio.

For the Video editing itself I'll be going with Sony Vegas Pro (I've seen it mentioned repeatedly around the net as a good option - anyone with any advise around this I would really appreciate it) and I'm aware that you can record the audio directly into this.

What I am wondering is would I be better off recording direct to my dedicated Audio programs as I am assuming I will have better options to EQ, Compress the sound etc?

Again I think it depends what you want to do, I think audicity or Logic or whatever are good options if you want to do "live" or improvised talk over the game, whereas if you want to overdub later, people just use their video programs tools.

The third option- which I and I guess you might have- is to directly put the game audio through a mixing desk and do your levels live and on the fly without any need for any messing around with programs- obviously this requires a certain amount of audio skill, but it allows for total 1 step control over your sound, so I personally consider it the best option for making quality audio, but most would disagree!

Advertisement