Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More good news - New Limerick Court Complex to go ahead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Can't happen soon enough, get the scum away from the city centre and around St. Marys Cathedral/City Hall. So feckin' embarrassing to see tour buses stopping outside the present Court building and the first impression of the city is a shedload of tackie-wearing trash with their molls and lawyers swanning around the place.

On a positive note, ideas for what to do with the existing Courthouse....Gallery, Theatre perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Fantastic news, can't happen soon enough imo. Let's hope they do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭pigtown

Well that's welcome news. Maybe the old courthouse could be used by the new council as their chamber and maybe an events hall, like Cork City Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MrLaurel

If its a smaller version of the beautiful Criminal courts complex in Dublin, I'll be delighted. It would also serve to piss off the "detainees" in the prison and will enhance another approach road into the city. I read that all undesirable visitors would be brought in under a series of back roads underground etc etc while decent folk would be able to use the front door. I think this is what happened in the Criminal Court in Dublin. Anyway, another good day for Limerick.

MrLaurel wrote: »
    If its a smaller version of the beautiful Criminal courts complex in Dublin, I'll be delighted. It would also serve to piss off the "detainees" in the prison and will enhance another approach road into the city. I read that all undesirable visitors would be brought in under a series of back roads underground etc etc while decent folk would be able to use the front door. I think this is what happened in the Criminal Court in Dublin. Anyway, another good day for Limerick.

It would be great if the new building itself had some merit but we'll see. Where's it due to be built?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭sioda

Combine the courthouse with the existing city hall to house the new local authority

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MrLaurel

It would be great if the new building itself had some merit but we'll see. Where's it due to be built?

Right here, next to the new road across from the Fire Station

52.659895,-8.619332
    Hopefully these are the correct co-ordinates

Cheers, sooner it can be built the better, imo.

As for the current Courthouse, I'd favour some sort of Art Cinema or theatre, maybe the project that was due to happen in the theatre royal could be moved down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

All good ideas above. Can we move the Social Welfare office out of the centre of the city too, please? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

The current courts building is horrific. Level it. And whatever civil service office is there by the back of the hunt museum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭sioda

langdang wrote: »
    The current courts building is horrific. Level it. And whatever civil service office is there by the back of the hunt museum.
    AFAIK the Court house is listed and its a great old building

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

sioda wrote: »
    langdang wrote: »
    AFAIK the Court house is listed and its a great old building

I think he's talking about the district court which is in city hall. The circuit Court building is a beautiful old building.

Definitely a candidate for a city center theatre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Limerick-700.gif?openelement

According to the Leader, the government will be moving only the District Court.

The Circuit Court will remain on Merchant's Quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Yeah I meant the one that gets shown anytime limerick is on the telly. They should make the listed building city hall, and level the eyesore

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The article leaves out a few bits though that were mentioned in the Dail. One is that the projects are set for a number of years down the road, and the other is that they are dependent on a number of things happening (and not happening) to the economy during the next three or so years.

Will be great if it happens, but given that the money for the Limerick regeneration scheme went from billions to a fraction of that despite claims at the start that the funds were already in place, I will believe it when work actually starts on a new courthouse in a new location rather than the project being downgraded to a refurbishment job in three years time.

What did puzzle me slightly was some comments on the radio about this news. I was standing in a shop this morning and there was a radio playing in the background and they were talking about the stimulus package and about how the Gort to Tuam motorway was going to be a huge boost to Limerick city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

According to the Leader, the government will be moving only the District Court.

The Circuit Court will remain on Merchant's Quay.

:(

Advertisement