Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a joiner in the Wicklow/South Dublin area for a Stairs.

Options
  • 17-07-2012 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Hi all - need to get a new stairs put into my house as my builder has gone bust and the fella he had putting the stairs in made a right mess of it.

I've recieved a quote of €1,900 to have it made and fitted - it's just a bog standard 15 step straight stairs for a 3 bed semi detatched house and that seems excessive.

Can anyone make any recommendations of who might be best to contact? Fierce hard to find any on the web!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Mr. Larson wrote: »
    Hi all - need to get a new stairs put into my house as my builder has gone bust and the fella he had putting the stairs in made a right mess of it.

I've recieved a quote of €1,900 to have it made and fitted - it's just a bog standard 15 step straight stairs for a 3 bed semi detatched house and that seems excessive.

Can anyone make any recommendations of who might be best to contact? Fierce hard to find any on the web!

You are right , it sounds too dear for a bog standard stairs. Is it going into a new build, or is it a replacement stairs in an existing house.

Its a buyers market, and for a straight flight, you should get a good deal.

Dont take the first quote you get, and shop around. Dont pay all up front either, final balance on the day of fitting. And straight flight into a new build, shouldn,t take longer than a day, for 2 men, if the stair trimmers are correctly fitted.

And I hate to say, that most new build stairwells that I used to fit into, needed extensive work on the trimmers. Things like inadequate support, and wrongly fitted trimmers, take time to prep for a new stairs.

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Thanks for the feedback - there is a current stairs needs pulling out (sorry neglected to mention that) & it's just a red deal standard stairs. Following a few leads anyway, just wanted to see if it was ball-park out of the park. Seems it is from the other quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Bog standard is approx 800 to 950 plus VAT supply,( red deal) approx 300 to 400 to fit, depending on what has to be done.
    As Kadman said, there may be extra trimmings needed, for the average stairs, 100 euro max will supply these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Gary Busey

galwayrush wrote: »
    Bog standard is approx 800 to 950 plus VAT supply,( red deal) approx 300 to 400 to fit, depending on what has to be done.
    As Kadman said, there may be extra trimmings needed, for the average stairs, 100 euro max will supply these.

+1

I pay around 900 for straight flight closed string read deal with all fittings etc. Fitting varies but €1200- €1400 supply and fit would be a reasonable assumption depending on finish.

Advertisement