Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student 2013 funding question

Options
  • 17-07-2012 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey everyone,

I am currently employed, however I wish to go back to college September 2013 as a mature student.

I will have some money saved up for this however it will not be enough to cover fees and accommodation etc. My question is this, am I able to avail of full mature student assistance from the government, or is it only people on the dole that are rewarded with an easy "back to third level education" pass?

Before I commit to any plans, I would like to know if its viable financially for me to study full time.

Thanks for your time :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭muffinn

If you would be awarded statutory redundancy within one year before starting the college you also would be eligible for BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

DTB87 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I am currently employed, however I wish to go back to college September 2013 as a mature student.

I will have some money saved up for this however it will not be enough to cover fees and accommodation etc. My question is this, am I able to avail of full mature student assistance from the government, or is it only people on the dole that are rewarded with an easy "back to third level education" pass?

Before I commit to any plans, I would like to know if its viable financially for me to study full time.

Some of these people have worked for twenty + years, so if they are now afforded the opportunity to return to education, it is hardly a reward?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DTB87

That is really interesting actually, thank you for the reply!

However I would need to be sure of getting a place in my desired course before taking such action as leaving my Job a year before the course starts.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth securing a better quality of life sponging off the government as a student on back to education allowance, than by saving for a year and not availing of this scheme.

Some of these people have worked for twenty + years, so if they are now afforded the opportunity to return to education, it is hardly a reward?

Of course I agree that this is the other end of the spectrum, however you also have to admit this can be exploited by people who are not in the circumstances you described. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Of course I agree that this is the other end of the spectrum, however you also have to admit this can be exploited by people who are not in the circumstances you described. :)

Almost everything can be exploited, however, three/four years in full time education will generally sort out those genuinely committed.

• Advertisement

That is really interesting actually, thank you for the reply!

However I would need to be sure of getting a place in my desired course before taking such action as leaving my Job a year before the course starts.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth securing a better quality of life sponging off the government as a student on back to education allowance, than by saving for a year and not availing of this scheme.

I might have phrased it wrong. basically you are eligible for BTAE for one year from the date of your redundancy.

So in theory if a person has been made redundant a month before starting the couse, that person would still be eligible.

muffinn wrote: »
    I might have phrased it wrong. basically you are eligible for BTAE for one year from the date of your redundancy.

So in theory if a person has been made redundant a month before starting the couse, that person would still be eligible.

Oh that is much better, would be able to save up then properly and enjoy my job until I dive into full time education.

Thank you for the information, I will continue to investigate this and decide whether or not it is he best course of action for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

muffinn wrote: »

I don't think this is correct. You need to be unemployed for 3 months to do a second level course or 9 months to go on to a third level institution and receive BTEA.

I imagine you will get some kind of grant, this pays for your fees, and usually you will get an additional sum of money to help you out. Also, many colleges have certain funds to help students in difficult financial circumstances.

studentfinance.ie has a lot of information about the grant, the levels of income you're allowed and what you might be entitled to.

Also, I don't think many people exploit the system. If someone was too lazy to get off their ass and work in the good times, they're hardly going to get up & go to college every day and come home & study every night. So personally I think the BTEA is a great scheme to help those who have been made redundant, particularly from areas where there is no longer any work, and help them to learn a new skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Muffin is correct. BTEA, without any waiting period, is an option for someone who is made statutorily redundant for up to one year after redundancy as long as they are eligible for a DSP payment immediately before starting the course.
    Taken from the DSP website:
    If you have been awarded statutory redundancy and are entitled to a qualifying social welfare payment immediately before you start the course (note that it is not necessary to actually be receiving the payment) you can get immediate access to the BTEA without any waiting period. You must take part in the BTEA scheme within one year of getting statutory redundancy.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/BackToEducation/Pages/btea.aspx

Edit: DTB87 you have to be made redundant to avail of this option. Leaving your job isn't the same thing and if you do leave work instead of being made officially redundant then you will have to be on a Jobseekers payment for 3 or 9 months before the course starts.

Here's all the official info:

http://www.welfare.ie/en/publications/sw70/pages/abacktoeducationallowancebtea.aspx

or

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

"Persons awarded Statutory Redundancy under Irish legislation may have immediate access to the BTEA scheme, (or within one year) of the award of the Statutory Redundancy, provided an entitlement to a relevant Social Welfare payment is established prior to commencing an approved course of study."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

Why did you not apply this year to see if you would get a place, you could have deferred it for a year while you save up/or sign on the dole, whatever!!

Keep an eye on Vacant places, although most colleges don't accept mature applications at this stage of the year.

Also you have to be over 21 to get BTE allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Frowzy wrote: »

Also you have to be over 23 to get BTE allowance.

Not true. BTEA is available to people aged 21 or older. It is also available to those aged between 18 and 20 if they have been out of formal education for at least 2 years.
    In both cases you need to be in receipt of a Social Welfare payment before applying unless you have been made statutorily redundant.

Details here http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW70/Documents/SW70.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

paperclip2 wrote: »
    BTEA is available to people aged 21 or older.

Of course you're right, typo, was getting mixed up with mature age.

I've fixed it there now!

F

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Juicy432

Hey everyone,

I was going to ask the exact same question. I'm currently in full time employment since I left school and i'm really interested in going back to college in 2013.I'll turn 23 in Dec, so I would really love to know will I be eligible for any sort of grant or help with college fees.

Advertisement