Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Wildlife television -- do we need more?

Options
  • 17-07-2012 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Every time I see Springwatch and Autumnwatch air on the BBC I ask myself the same question. Why not here?

Irish wildlife is every bit as engaging, dynamic and exciting as the wildlife they get across the water, and excellent natural history programmes like Wild Trials, The Eagle's Return, Wild Journeys and Living the Wild Life demonstrate that we have the skills and talent to produce world class natural history television.

There's also an appetite out there now to get closer to nature -- and programmes like Springwatch tap into that so well, bringing wildlife to a much broader audience -- which can only be a good thing.

My Irish Independent wildlife column last weekend asked why we don't have more home grown Irish wildlife television.

I think the production skills are there, I certainly believe the audience is there. What's missing is a bit of vision and commitment from TV decision makers.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd say the main reason is that Springwatch would cover most of our wildlife, and is getting enough viewers that they wouldn't bother putting on basically the same programme.

My main reason for being leary of it is simply the quality of talent that RTE tends to put on the air. I can't think of anyone that could do a good job of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

part of the reason why you wouldn't see the talent on irish screens is that the BBC are big enough (and make enough money from licencing their programs) to have a permanent and well trained staff dedicated to making or producing nature programs. RTE, as far as i know, rely on commissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭WildIreland

kylith wrote: »
    My main reason for being leary of it is simply the quality of talent that RTE tends to put on the air. I can't think of anyone that could do a good job of it.

On the production side of things I think we'd have the bases pretty much covered. In front of the camera I'd say you have a valid point -- but here's a radical thought... how about discovering new wildlife presenting talent?

There are plenty of passionate, knowledgeable wildlife enthusiasts all over Ireland, and I'm certain some of them would have the necessary presence, charisma and charm to shine in front of the camera. Maybe it's an opportunity to foster the next generation in Irish wildlife broadcasting!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

BBC N Ireland tried their own nature programme last year and it wasn't up to much. People who don't know their subject shouldn't front it.

I agree there must be plenty of confident amateurs who could do it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one problem with RTE is that they can be hooked on the cult of personality; and they're paying so much for some stars that rather than letting a knowledgeable unknown front it, they may plump for a known face who gets by on charisma rather than knowledge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement