Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traditional Chinese medicine sign going into Kilrush

Options
  • 17-07-2012 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

About a mile out from the town on the Ennis road, does anyone know what the title of it is called? Can't find it on Google. I couldn't read the sign quick enough when I was driving!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Found this Acupuncturist in the Golden Pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

Godot. wrote: »
    About a mile out from the town on the Ennis road, does anyone know what the title of it is called? Can't find it on Google. I couldn't read the sign quick enough when I was driving!!

I dont know the exact name but his name is Michael Enright. He is a former associate of Michael O'Doherty - Plexus bioenergy. They started out together in the late 80's doing bioenergy therapy

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Macushlablue

He [Michael Enright] doesn't have a website but his number is listed here under Alternative & Complimentary Medicine .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Should you ever find yourself in the other direction, check out Ann Killen's clinic near Ballinruan.
    She's a TCM practitioner and herbalist, when I had bad sciatica she got me walking again, can't praise her high enough.
    http://clareacuherb.vpweb.co.uk/Contact-Us.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Sorry to interrupt this thread, but I think there is a need for someone to point out that aquapuncture and similar alternative therapies are not supported by any medical evidence.

There are no high quality studies that show Efficacy above the placebo effect (and the large number of very poor quality studies do not add up to one high quality study)

In relation to Dr Fuzzensteins recommendation, his condition, Sciatica, here is the prognosis for his condition according to MedicinePlus
    "Outlook (Prognosis)Often, sciatica will get better on its own. However, it is common for it to return.
    " http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000686.htm

While people may often recommend alternative treatments based on their personal experience
    "I had x condition which the doctors could not heal, then I went to the alternative practitioner and after a while the condition felt better"

This is not a very accurate way at determining the efficacy of a treatment. Due to the complexity of the human immune defence system and the complexities of disease pathologies, medical problems can often come and go in waves, or dissappear without any apparent cause.

The only way to determine whether a treatment works, is to do a controlled study involving hundreds or thousands of cases and measure the results carefully. When these studies are performed, Alternative therapies do not demonstrate any effectiveness. (where herbs are concerned, those herbs that do have a medical effect are usually refined and the active ingredients extracted, these herbs then become drugs and are tested and licensed for human consumption)

While it's probably not going to do you any harm to see an acupuncturist (as long as you don't rule out conventional therapies as well) It is a waste of money and isn't going to do your medical health any good.

Where herbalists are concerned, they are dealing with plants that can have toxic effects or may have reactions to other medications you might be taking. Be careful what you take. The general rule is, if it has the potential to cure you, then it has pharmacological effects and therefore there is the possibility that there will be side effects or negative interactions with other medications.

• Advertisement

Akrasia - If you want a debate about the merits and demerits of acupuncture or alternative therapies I think you should start a thread in one of the science fora. I'm sure that OP and others are capable of making informed decisions about their own health.

Lets get back on topic now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Besides, not everyone wants to be shot full of dangerous pharmaceutical chemicals that kill thousands of people worldwide every year.
    Also, anyone know anything about aquapuncture? Never heard of it. Is it good?

Folks, I think the OP has received the information he was looking for so I'm going to lock the thread now.

Anyone who wants to continue the Acupuncture (or even Aquapuncture) debate should take a look here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement