Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

satellite internet

Options
  • 17-07-2012 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Im new to this, so apologies if the topic is already covered and if so maybe somebody could point me in the right direction.
    I've struggled with bad internet connection for years and I'm looking to upgrade. I can't get it on the phoneline and the quality of the wireless signal is no longer
    acceptable(dips in quality getting more frequent) which leaves satellite as the next option. Has anyone any suggestions of a provider with good quality\service and good value.
    Also on a technical question, is there a fraction of a delay on satellite versus a good wireless broadband?
    Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I Has anyone any suggestions of a provider with good quality\service and good value.
    Also on a technical question, is there a fraction of a delay on satellite versus a good wireless broadband?

There's no such thing as good quality or service with satellite, they all have punishing caps and rolling data windows.

Have a look at this as an example : http://www.onwave.ie/fair_usage_policy

Yes the delays on sat are enormous 600 - 800 ms ping times.

A crap wireless connection is infinitely better than a satellite connection, there's a reason satellite is in the midband section.

I'd get onto your wireless provider and see if they can resolve the problem first

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bubblesacc3

bealtine wrote: »
    I Has anyone any suggestions of a provider with good quality\service and good value.

There's no such thing as good quality or service with satellite, they all have punishing caps and rolling data windows.

Have a look at this as an example : http://www.onwave.ie/fair_usage_policy

Yes the delays on sat are enormous 600 - 800 ms ping times.

A crap wireless connection is infinitely better than a satellite connection, there's a reason satellite is in the midband section.

I'd get onto your wireless provider and see if they can resolve the problem first

Yeah chatting a friend today and she suggested the same.
    Just wondering about wi-max from imagine, is it any better even though I don't think it's available in my area( countryside in the midlands)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Prob isn't available but you never know... there's some fixed wireless companies scattered around the country that may be in your area

http://digiweb.ie

or

http://www.net1.ie/pages/?title1=coverage stuff like that but can't remember some of the other companies

satellite should be a last resort really... crappy 3g on the NBS scheme would prob be better

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rosalind151

Hi,
    I see that the thread happened in 2012. Has it gotten any better in terms of satellite internet? My parents are in one of those areas that isn't on the NBS. We had a 3 dongle, it was useless. Like a boards dot ie page would take 10 seconds to load. A youtube video wouldn't load.
    I am wondering if satellite internet is the cure? Or is there one at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Hi,
    I see that the thread happened in 2012. Has it gotten any better in terms of satellite internet? My parents are in one of those areas that isn't on the NBS. We had a 3 dongle, it was useless. Like a boards dot ie page would take 10 seconds to load. A youtube video wouldn't load.

Satellite will never improve. It's up against the laws of physics. So it remains, in my opinion, one step-up from dial-up. Too expensive, too limited, too laggy and badly affected by something called rain , which happens occasionally in this country. :rolleyes:

If your parents can't get FTTH or FTTC, then try:
    • Imagine
    • Fixed Wireless (locate services using this map)
    • Vodafone or Meteor (there are only 3 mobile networks, and if Three are crap, then give the others a look)
    in that order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Satellite "broadband" (hah!) is appalling so steer clear.

Have you tried an external antenna for 3g/4g? I've had excellent results for several people who had only sketchy mobile phone coverage in their house, stuck an antenna on the chimney and they're getting reasonable speeds now...you need a very directional antenna though...something like this:

http://www.dipol.ie/cellular-systems/gsm-3g-lte-antennas/lte/atk-log-alp-lte-mimo-2x2-antenna-800-3000mhz-10m-cables-sma-plug.html

When I say "reasonable" I mean good enough to watch Netflix....

Just as a rule of thumb, always invest in the antenna rather than the router. Unless you have some kind of decent signal to start with, a router won't improve things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

Hi,

HAve you tried 4g on your phone ? i was getting useless 3g on three (dongle thingy ) i bought a 4g sim and a phone . now the signal is fine . just ordered aTelecom Speedport LTE II 2, 4G LTE ROUTER on ebay .

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rosalind151

John Mac, what is a 4G sim? Just a regular SIM with an internet connection? Any specific provider/plan? The internet on my phone isn't too bad. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roynie

John Mac, what is a 4G sim? Just a regular SIM with an internet connection? Any specific provider/plan? The internet on my phone isn't too bad. Thanks

Yes, the sim is a regular mobile phone sim. 4G is the type of signal and it gives better broadband speed than the older 3G.

All of the mobile phone providers do mobile broadband. We are quite remote, have no phone line and are with Vodafone. Different areas have better coverage with different providers. Have a look at this link for Vodafone, but it's worth asking your neighbours which company gives the best coverage and go with them.

http://www.vodafone.ie/mobile-broadband/

Alternatively you could get a sim only deal for mobile broadband and buy a 4G LTE router and an external aerial. It has a sim slot and the external aerial would, hopefully, give you a reasonable connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

i use a 3 payg sim only . its €20 a month for 'all you can eat data '

• Advertisement
Advertisement