Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Society

Options
  • 16-07-2012 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hello

Myself and a few associates are looking to organise a Local Historical Society. At the moment we clean up the graves and memorials of Irish Patriots, who are more or less sadly forgotton, particularly those who fought in 1798. We hold small anniversary ceremonies, usually involving a couple of quick speeches and a wreath laying.

The purpose is to keep the memory of the patriots who fought for Ireland alive and to educate and indeed learn from others.

We are small in numbers at present and operate mainly in the Leinster region but are hoping to expand. We are not connected to any political movements nor will we be seeking money, just for people to attend a meeting or discussion group every 10 weeks or so.

If anyone would like more information or would be interested in participating I would like to hear from you.

Thank you

RM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

I would like to add that I am also a member, and call on anyone with a passion for the history of '98 to come forward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Shredder66 wrote: »
    Hello

Myself and a few associates are looking to organise a Local Historical Society. At the moment we clean up the graves and memorials of Irish Patriots, who are more or less sadly forgotton, particularly those who fought in 1798. We hold small anniversary ceremonies, usually involving a couple of quick speeches and a wreath laying.

The purpose is to keep the memory of the patriots who fought for Ireland alive and to educate and indeed learn from others.

We are small in numbers at present and operate mainly in the Leinster region but are hoping to expand. We are not connected to any political movements nor will we be seeking money, just for people to attend a meeting or discussion group every 10 weeks or so.

If anyone would like more information or would be interested in participating I would like to hear from you.

Thank you

RM
    I'm a bit skeptical about this, as the National Graves Association a non political organisation, do all of the above.
    The objectives of the Association have always been:
    To restore, where necessary, and maintain fittingly the graves and memorials of our patriot dead of every generation.
    To commemorate those who died in the cause of Irish freedom.
    To compile a record of such graves and memorials.

http://www.nga.ie/

I'm a bit skeptical about this, as the National Graves Association a non political organisation, do all of the above.
    To restore, where necessary, and maintain fittingly the graves and memorials of our patriot dead of every generation.

Well, They don't.

There are several graves in Carlow that I have solely been looking after for the last 5 years, the largest one, the Croppy-Pit in GraigueCullen, I have had to maintian for five years now, including, cleaning the cross and plaques, trimming the weeds, painting the letter onto the crosses, cleaning the pathway and organizing the yearly commemorations, of which I have organized four. At the moment, I am also painting the railings around the resting place, I fear to imagine the state it would be in if not for our intervention.

If you don't believe me, I have plenty of pictures, receipts and even newspaper clippings.

You can be skeptical all you want, that is the problem, no one will do anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Fair play to ye for getting up and doing the job.

Heres a link to a guide on the care of historic graveyards from the Heritage Council, it might be of some use..........

http://www.heritagecouncil.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/Publications/Archaeology/Guidance_Historic_Graveyards.pdf

and heres the English Heritage guide for the same thing.....

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/content/publications/publicationsNew/guidelines-standards/caring-historic-graveyard-cemetery-monuments/caring-historic-graveyard-cemetery-mon.pdf

This website may be of interest also....

http://historicgraves.ie/content/credits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Well, They don't.

There are several graves in Carlow that I have solely been looking after for the last 5 years, the largest one, the Croppy-Pit in GraigueCullen, I have had to maintian for five years now, including, cleaning the cross and plaques, trimming the weeds, painting the letter onto the crosses, cleaning the pathway and organizing the yearly commemorations, of which I have organized four. At the moment, I am also painting the railings around the resting place, I fear to imagine the state it would be in if not for our intervention.

If you don't believe me, I have plenty of pictures, receipts and even newspaper clippings.

You can be skeptical all you want, that is the problem, no one will do anything!
    would you guys have any idea who is responsible for the 12/13 century church at the top of the old conna avenue in bray?it has some really old headstones (1725) i did notice some military headstones not 1798 maybe f.w.w....but the church and graveyard are in a deplorable state...the thought to spray it myself did cross my mind.

• Advertisement

If there is an active church attached it is probably in their care, if not then its probably owned/under care of the local authority.

You might be able to find out from the heritage officer for Wicklow

Thanks, Geebag.

Maudi, you see, the sites we look after are usually mass graves, like burial pits for scores of unknown dead revolutionaries, or memorial plaques. So there is little or no family connection.

But when you go to a graveyard, there is a chance that some of the plots may be still be owned by families, who may or may not be happy with you in and around them.

Generally though, there are groups who are supposed to look after them, who simply don't, and will huff and puff if they see someone do their job, but in the end of the day, it needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Gee Bag wrote: »
    If there is an active church attached it is probably in their care, if not then its probably owned/under care of the local authority.

You might be able to find out from the heritage officer for Wicklow
    the heritage officer for wicklow gee bag..your havin a laff..shes about as useful as a chocolale fireguard..its a ruins no active church.

Maudi wrote: »
    the heritage officer for wicklow gee bag..your havin a laff..shes about as useful as a chocolale fireguard..its a ruins no active church.

Had a quick check, that graveyard seems to be just over the county line and in Dublin. Maybe the Dun Laoighre/Rathdown heritage officer is the fella to ask.

It's generally not recommended to spray weeds in an old graveyard. Some weedkillers can react with water to speed up the erosion of limestone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

The NGA don't have the numbers or resources to look after everything, but if you inform them that something is damaged etc they will generally do everything they can to fix it.

Fair play to you lads, but I don't see the point in having multiple organizations doing the same thing, why not tie in with the NGA which has a 32 county presence?

• Advertisement

The NGA don't have the numbers or resources to look after everything, but if you inform them that something is damaged etc they will generally do everything they can to fix it.

Fair play to you lads, but I don't see the point in having multiple organizations doing the same thing, why not tie in with the NGA which has a 32 county presence?

It seems that people are not reading the OP.

The idea is not to just clean and maintain, education is an integral part, as is meeting with people from other counties, to share and learn.

For example, the Young Irelanders set up clubs, where members would meet, lets say monthly, at which meetings some members, having been chosen at the previous meeting, would give speeches on interesting historical topics, fostering a bond of fraternity and protecting history.

The organization will not just be about cleaning history, but also reviving, and sharing it so that it can obtain knew heights.

Edit: I knew the name "Fenian Army" was familiar, it wasn't too long ago that you wrote, "Men of talk, not action, crippled the republican movement." when referring to the leadership of the Laois/Offaly Irish Volunteers, during the War of Independence, as cowards, in the post "IRA activity in Laois/Offaly" by Aquila . I heard much, mainly first hand accounts from people who had relatives that were in the Laois brigade, which was linked with the Carlow brigade, while researching my book, and I assure you they were brave young men who were far from cowards.

Men of talk and no action comes up here now rest assured, it is now that we need to take action to stop the memories of some long deceased men from slipping into oblivion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Shredder66

Thanks all for your feedback.

Geebag - Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to check them out :)

Maudi - To be honest, I'm not familiar with the church you refer to but it sounds interesting, i'd be interested in taking a look at it too. have you visited the WWII Luftwaffe cemetery in Wicklow?

I don't know enough about the graves assoc. enough to comment but the sites we've visited have badly deteriorated. They have been covered in litter, beer cans, fag butts, and graffitti. They were badly overgrown with moss and weeds, no flowers or anything.

After reading many books on local history and lesser known history we decided it would be good to reach out to other like-minded individuals to organise not only grave side ceremonies but discussion / debate / book groups.

Anyone interested is welcome to drop me a mail, we'd be happy to hear from you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

I think a break away group would be more appropriate given the current poilitical climate.

Advertisement