Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant and 2nd year mature student...am I eligible?

Options
  • 16-07-2012 5:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4

Hi Folks,

I'm a mature student entering 2nd year. Having been awarded the grant last year I have been getting my application for this year together and have discovered I am over the income limit this year (as it's based on 2011 earnings). Last year I received the 100% student contribution, fees were covered and 25% Maintenance but this year it looks as if I'll only be eligible for 50% student contribution.....there's no way I can afford the other 50% and my fees!!!

Am I right in thinking my renewal application is going to be assessed as if it was a new application, as the form is just as detailed as last years? If deemed ineligible for the same cover as received last year are there any other options, as having got this far I really don't want to have to drop out of my course.

Any advice much appreciated,
    Tulip75

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

You should still apply, make sure you put in your expenses and document them well. Anything you get will be worth it, even if you don't get the full whack. You can earn up to 56k and still be entitled to something! (half of your student contribution, which could be worth up to 1.5k, as long as you're going full-time)

A full list of earning criteria and entitlements can be found here:

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1341494564/Schedule_1_reckonable_income_limit_2012.pdf

There are other options if you don't get the grant, you can speak to your local social welfare office about assistance if you have no other means of payment (student assistance fund: http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7235/student-assistance-fund/index.html) and colleges often have Government money set aside for students in financial difficulties also.

Also note that as a mature student you are entitled to social welfare payments (job seekers benefit / allowance) during the summer months, so if you haven't been working and haven't claimed this you should apply for it straight away and this can be back dated, which will hopefully help.

Advertisement