Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on buckfast?!

Options
  • 16-07-2012 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

What is the big hooha about buckfast?!

My friend was home at the weekend from Edinburgh and was going mad looking for it! He's not a 'scumbag' or 'rough' or anything, he just said he used to drink it years ago when he was in college in Dublin. He said it was a great buzz and it used to be cheap!

So, I saw it in Tesco's today and it's nearly €11?! Not exactly super cheap in comparison to McGuigans (€6) or the likes..

So what's the deal with Buckfast!? Why is it so great! Do tell :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I think people love it because of its high caffeine content, a poormans vodka redbull if you will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

wow 11 E?!Used to be wayyyy cheaper than that years back i remember getting it in the offie for less than 10 it was 6 E times have changed..I think the whole buckfast thing is it gets you drunk fast,it tastes nices and gets you drunk quick,thats the appeal and it used to be cheaper..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

suntottie wrote: »
    What is the big hooha about buckfast?!

My friend was home at the weekend from Edinburgh and was going mad looking for it! He's not a 'scumbag' or 'rough' or anything, he just said he used to drink it years ago when he was in college in Dublin. He said it was a great buzz and it used to be cheap!

So, I saw it in Tesco's today and it's nearly €11?! Not exactly super cheap in comparison to McGuigans (€6) or the likes..

So what's the deal with Buckfast!? Why is it so great! Do tell :)

It's a medicinal tonic, brewed by monks, and designed to get you closer to god. These christian types will pay over the odds for Buckfast.

Not like blue nun, which has lead manys the priest to excommunication or, it being Ireland, a change of parish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

Buckfast... I only ever drank 2 bottles of this in my life. The second time, I woke up on the stairs of a friend's apartment, with carpetburn on my face. Avoid this pish. E11 can get you a semi-not bad bottle of wine these days.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Brokentime wrote: »
    E11 can get you a semi-not bad bottle of wine these days.

€11 can get you an awesome bottle of wine these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

€11 will also get you an awesome bottle of tonic wine - Buckfast that is.

I would describe it as being somewhere between the elixir of the gods and the real blood of Christ.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    €11 will also get you an awesome bottle of tonic wine - Buckfast that is.

I would describe it as being somewhere between the elixir of the gods and the real blood of Christ.

I often spend many hours debating whether to go for the 2005 Cheval Blanc or the 2012 Buckfast. I feel that the tannins have settled perfectly in the Buckfast, delivering hints of red berries, ripe fruit and a slight touch of lemon zest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

At least you know what you're getting and that it will never disappoint.

At Christmas I made some mulled Buckie by warming it up slightly and adding delicious spices. It was tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,834 ✭✭✭squonk

Bucky is ****e! I had never tried it until a week or two ago when I was over at a friend's appartment and she had a bottle of it. We mixed it with some elderflower cordial and it was lovely so I tried some on it's own.... mother of God, but it was dog rough. Trully, trully disgusting stuff. I don't know how you could put away a bottle and not puke your ring up afterwards.

The trick is to chill it. I didn't like it when I first tried it but that was because I had it at room temperature on a warm day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Used to drink Buckfast years ago before going to the teenage discos and call it F**k Fast

I actually enjoy the taste, regardless of its other properties. The price can be prohibitive though, I will admit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

It tastes really good, and its an ideal pre-drink before going out or just if you want a night in.

It appeals to teens because of the kinda sweet taste I think!

Got to say I f**cking love it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Ravelleman wrote: »
    The trick is to chill it. I didn't like it when I first tried it but that was because I had it at room temperature on a warm day.
    I'm the opposite...I leave it beside an open fire to warm a little before drinking, reminds me of my teenage, knacker-drinking days long past :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

its my predrink of choice, bottle and a few cans before town, great night, cant handlr spirits myself so this gets me in party form asap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Mix it with lilt. Go on try it. You will thank me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,260 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Mix it with lilt. Go on try it. You will thank me.
    That's the craziest thing I've ever read. Buckfast and lilt? That has to be manky. 50-50 mix, or a small bit of buckfast?
    And I'm guessing you discovered this at 4am when all the other drink was gone. Can you confirm you tried it when you were sober and it still tasted nice?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Nice stuff but the caffeine content must be ridiculous . I struggle to sleep well after drinking it.

I also dont see the big fuss in it strength wise. Everyones different but it would take more than a bottle of buck to get me hammered. Over the course of a day-night session I'm sure 3-4 bottles could be gotten through. Wouldnt like to see that or have to money to try it though!

DB10 wrote: »
    Everyones different but it would take more than a bottle of buck to get me hammered. Over the course of a day-night session I'm sure 3-4 bottles could be gotten through. Wouldnt like to see that or have to money to try it though!

That's great but perhaps we should avoid comments like this to keep the thread open!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Its a cheeky little number, the nose has hints of fresh meadows and fist fights on O'Connell Bridge, the body is firm and fruity, with a hint of long term brain damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

It's the drink of Kings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Cienciano wrote: »
    That's the craziest thing I've ever read. Buckfast and lilt? That has to be manky. 50-50 mix, or a small bit of buckfast?
    And I'm guessing you discovered this at 4am when all the other drink was gone. Can you confirm you tried it when you were sober and it still tasted nice?

50/50 mix. A girl I know convinced me to try it. God knows how she came up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

Drank it when i was 19 or 20 got me hammered pretty quick found it in my local off licence a month ago bought it tried it and it was awful god knows how i drank that stuff when i was younger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Buckfast tastes like ham.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TurdzMcFurdz

Very enjoyable when intoxicated due to taste buds already being destroyed from other drink. When sober.......don't even have words to describe it, very odd tasting stuff.

Yet I still take a sip everytime when it's offered :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Heart palpatations and cold sweats, but worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

gaelicred wrote: »
    Drank it when i was 19 or 20 got me hammered pretty quick found it in my local off licence a month ago bought it tried it and it was awful god knows how i drank that stuff when i was younger

Could this be down to the numbers on the bottle? The rumour I've always heard people quote is that there's a number system that corresponds to the flavour? I've never taken the time to look for numbers but heard it's meant to be on the underside of the bottle? Lower numbers are sweet, higher numbers bitter, 5-10 supposed to be the ideal but that could all be a load of drunk talk from my friends that drink it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

6 dutch,a bottle of buckfast and a bonfire.Best nights money can buy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

More caffiene than coffee in it. Try mixing cider with it, tis the job! I used to drink it in my younger days but one swig now and probably puke up a testicle. Is very sweet and does send ya cracked!

• Advertisement
Advertisement