Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the history course in NUIM like?

Options
  • 16-07-2012 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I'm starting sixth year in September and want to study history in university. I am totally torn between NUIM and TCD, any help from history grads or students to kind of sell the course to me?
    Any advantages,disadvantages in going to NUIM for history?

Many thanks!

I intend on studying English and Law/Sociology with history if I attend NUIM.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

Tis grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jimmerc

The history course is good but by no means the best. Heavy emphasis on the period between 16th and 18th century in both Ireland and Europe to the point where you wish you never will hear the word Reformation again.

The optional modules in 2nd year are good but numbers are restricted which means that if you do not get in early you may end up doing something you have no interest in. This seems to be done in order to facilitate lecturers who may run courses that do not generate a lot of interest. Not very student centered!

The lecturers vary from good to brilliant. The good ones give clear information but do not allow any interaction between students and lecturers. The brilliant ones prod and push their students into thinking and forming opinions.

Unfortunately, a lot of the younger students seem to be reluctant to get involved. Probably do not wish to embarass themselves by giving the wrong answer. But there is no wrong answer! Once you can back up your opinion with a reasoned argument you are doing exactly what any good historian is supposed to do.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

It's probably one of the better places to do history. You don't get any choice in first year what you study but it opens up a bit more once you reach second year. There are some lecturers who are absolutely brilliant. There's other ones that are downright dreadful. You have to do tutorials which are like small classes and the tutors follow this trend too.

Weekly assignments from the tutorials which are usually about 500 words, and then a couple of big essays in the mix too. Nothing too hard.

A Law/History/English combo would be pretty tough going...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Friend of mine did law/history/english in first year and said it was a lot of reading, but not terribly hard going.
    Different friend double honoured in history and law, he said it was, again, a lot of reading, but manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 GOCathail

jimmerc wrote: »
    The history course is good but by no means the best. Heavy emphasis on the period between 16th and 18th century in both Ireland and Europe to the point where you wish you never will hear the word Reformation again.

The optional modules in 2nd year are good but numbers are restricted which means that if you do not get in early you may end up doing something you have no interest in. This seems to be done in order to facilitate lecturers who may run courses that do not generate a lot of interest. Not very student centered!

The lecturers vary from good to brilliant. The good ones give clear information but do not allow any interaction between students and lecturers. The brilliant ones prod and push their students into thinking and forming opinions.

Unfortunately, a lot of the younger students seem to be reluctant to get involved. Probably do not wish to embarass themselves by giving the wrong answer. But there is no wrong answer! Once you can back up your opinion with a reasoned argument you are doing exactly what any good historian is supposed to do.

Hope this helps.

So would you say that you are happy with your choice of university? Or would you warn me off from NUIM, to attempt to get into Trinity instead?
    Please elaborate on course structure please! It's really, really helpful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

If it's a case that college atmosphere will help make your decision, NUIM would be better than Trinity. It's smaller, and you'll get to know people better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

not sure if you know but you can check off all the modules and course info here

http://www.nuim.ie/courses/?TARGET=QS&MODE=VIEW&QUALIFICATION_CODE=HIS&OFFERING_CODE=U_HONS_DEGREES&SUBJECT_CODE=&TARGET_SOURCE=CS&KEYWORD=arts

Studied music but done a 3rd year history module last year, european history in the 19th and 20th century, thought it was brilliantly organised, great lectures, a lot of reading and essays were larger than in music, but fúck me its much easier to get sources for history than music.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jimmerc

To be honest if I was applying again I would not go to NUIM. There are some great lecturers and tutors but the History Dept seems to be quite conservative. I am disappointed that there is not as much interaction as I would have expected. I believe that students should be encouraged to make reasoned and INFORMED argument in this subject. This seems to be missing in this course. They keep telling you that they are teaching you to do this but it is not practised or encouraged. The system of lectures are really not far removed from the time I was in Secondary School (Mid- 70's).

The core subject lectures are too big as everyone doing the course must attend. This places a time pressure on the lecturer and reduces the quality of lecture. The opional modules are smaller but depend on the lecturer's interest. If you are lucky you will meet a lecturer who is willing to push the boundaries. I had one this year who set a 'twitter' assignment where student 'tweeted' on an historical event as if it was happening now. That makes you sit up and read. Sadly, this is not the norm.

I think that the other contributers have given you a good idea of the course work and tutorials. It is not very difficult (I have not had a sleepless night yet). My advice would be to go to the open days and ask lots of questions based on what information you have got from us and others.

Get the information and ask questions. Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question but it is stupid not to ask one!

Best of luck.

Advertisement