Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Pet Insurance Gone Up Without Any Claims

Options
  • 16-07-2012 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I'm just curious if anyone has recently renewed their pet insurance with a firm beginning with A (not sure if the full name would get the snip here).

We've had our dog insured with them since he was a puppy and he just turned five a few months ago. Apparently this year's premium will be a €35 increase on last year's, up to over €290 from €250ish. He's not a select breed, not a senior just yet and we've never made a claim in his life so far. This increase just seems rather steep.

Obviously there's a lot of interest going down, charges going up and so on lately with insurance companies, banks etc., but I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen such large increases recently on policies they've never claimed on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Fish Bloke wrote: »
    I'm just curious if anyone has recently renewed their pet insurance with a firm beginning with A (not sure if the full name would get the snip here).

We've had our dog insured with them since he was a puppy and he just turned five a few months ago. Apparently this year's premium will be a €35 increase on last year's, up to over €290 from €250ish. He's not a select breed, not a senior just yet and we've never made a claim in his life so far. This increase just seems rather steep.

Obviously there's a lot of interest going down, charges going up and so on lately with insurance companies, banks etc., but I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen such large increases recently on policies they've never claimed on.
    Shop around for other quotes, and if you get a better quote ring them and tell them their quote is not competitve .

you have to be willing to change insurer if you want the best price.
    They lure you in with a low price and chance their arm trying to raise it every year then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

My dogs were insured with the same company for years, and every year the premium increased, regardless of whether I had made a claim or not.

Then when the dogs reached eight years old they disclosed that from that point on I would have to pay the first 35% of any claim myself. They know that most illnesses and diseases occur and are claimed for when the dog reaches old age.

Not that they are alone in any of these practices, OP. At least they are easy to deal with and pay out quickly. I've had no end of hassle with their main competitior.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

get other prices, get them on the phone and threaten to move.
    I've gotten far with this technique in the past :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'm stuck now as well. Two lurchers. NEver made a claim and they're still hale and hearty. However, the premium for both is gone so high now... and it only covers 70% of claim as they're over 8 years old. I cant shop around because of their age, and once the insurance is gone, its gone for good.

I'm considering dropping it. Got them checked by vet who says they're both very healthy and I might be better putting money into a savings account. Really not sure if I can justify over 400 euro a year on insurance for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Shop around for other quotes, and if you get a better quote ring them and tell them their quote is not competitve .

you have to be willing to change insurer if you want the best price.
    They lure you in with a low price and chance their arm trying to raise it every year then.

Be careful, if you switch, you will not be covered with the new company if the dog has suffered from something before. Ie Skin problem. If your dog suffered from this before, it will not be covered on the new policy as its a pre-existing condition.

That is the only down side of changing insurers with your pet...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Sure it's the same as vhi! I was looking over my bank statements I am paying €40 more per month this year and moved down plans from ladt year so no day to day cover! I am DREADING pet insurance renewal we have had huge claims this year and snuck in a €3000 claim last year after we agreed renewal but kept it in last years policy! The only good thing is you can pay it off monthly and not pay any interest (which is what we are doing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Millem wrote: »
    I am DREADING pet insurance renewal we have had huge claims this year and snuck in a €3000 claim last year after we agreed renewal but kept it in last years policy! The only good thing is you can pay it off monthly and not pay any interest (which is what we are doing!)

We had €3500 in claims last time and it went up €50-60, €1700 (just his op in nov and nothing else! :)) for this year so hopefully it either doesn't go up too much or I have job by then if it does lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

I think, from memory, my kittens insurance was 90 or so last year (paid in lump sum). We've also not made a claim for him. I got a renewal letter asking for over 150 for him. I decided to switch as that's a bit of a steep increase. Got contacted by the firm starting with A a fair few times, and even had a letter looking for the money from a collections department or something threatening to cancel the new cover I never agreed to in the first place..Has really put me off that firm

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Fish Bloke

I've since called the providers and have gotten nowhere with them unfortunately. I did say I was considering leaving but all I got was kind of an "Ah well, good luck" from the guy over the phone. I'm surprised, I thought I would've been able to negotiate even a small decrease. I presume they're being told not to bother. The company probably feel cocky because several other pet insurers have pulled out of the market in recent months.

What bothered me more though, was that he offered to change my plan from Plan A, with the highest cost and coverage, to Plan B, which covers less but costs about what I was expecting to pay this year anyway. When I signed up for this insurance five years ago, there was no Plan A & Plan B. At least I wasn't offered any choice. Yet suddenly I'm on the more comprehensive plan and paying for the privilege.

I don't know, I almost wish something would happen to my dog so I could claim back some of what I've invested! I know it's peace of mind and that insurance works this way for everyone and everything, it's just frustrating!

Advertisement