Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician Moving to Canada

Options
  • 15-07-2012 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Just got my Loi and I have some questions about electrical work in canada. I know there are a good few threads on this already but they are old enough and alot have people have moved over recently and hopefully people working over there now can help. Im out of my time in December and hoping to travel in Janurary. Have not decided to which part yet but looking at Calgary or Saskatchewan as thats where the work seems to be.

I was wondering how people went about getting jobs, did you get them before you travelled and if anyone went over without a job did you find it easy to get work over there? Also I know you have to register as an apprentice to work there until you do the test so if you are applying for jobs what can you apply for? Does it have to be a 3rd year or 4th year apprentice job or did you apply for electrician vacancys? Another thing im wondering is how easy is it to get a job with no post apprenticeship experience, has anyone went over soon after finishing your apprenticeship and if so how did you get on? Last one is how does the work compare to that at home? Im serving my time as a maintainance electrician but I doubt I will get work over there doing maintainance as they will probably be looking for journeymen for maintainance positions.

Sorry for the long list of questions, hopefully someone can help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Has anyone any info at all lads or know of any electricians that have went over? Ive seen so many threads on various boards asking for info but have found no people that are actually working over there as electricians. Dont know how this can be considering they were supposed to be crying out for electricians at the working abroad expo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I considered Canada but the visa things put me off. I did look (I'm also an electrician) at the time and there are tonnes of jobs going for electricians in a fairly wide range of areas. Most were looking for journeymen but the bigger companies take either. I dont recall expierence being an issue on any I looked at. Once you had the papers they seemed to be happy enough. If a lot of people apply for the same job, expierence will probably come into it but otherwise it doesnt seem like it will be a problem. Getting into the country seems like the harder part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mgtrose

Hi,
    I'm looking for some advise about moving to Canada. My husband is an electrician and wondering where is best in Canada to look for work. Our intentions is to follow on with our 3 children when he is settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

mgtrose wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm looking for some advise about moving to Canada. My husband is an electrician and wondering where is best in Canada to look for work. Our intentions is to follow on with our 3 children when he is settled.

Alberta is the heart of the Oil Sands. Loads of work atm.

If he has his Red Seal he will be fine. Other wise he will find it hard to get an Electrical Job.

Here is a list of companies to send CV to for Electrical Jobs In Alberta:

Dynamsk

Suncor

Glowbal Flow Inc

North 67 Group

Sparten Controls

Friday Pro Gp

Fluor

STS Group

OTS Offshore

Peace River HydroPartners

De Beers

Sepam

Petroplan

Thomas Insulators

Kentz

PCL

Strike Electrical

Blue Star Eng

Epscan

Phasor Eng

Aecom

MMR

Rising Edge

Techmation

Studon Electric

Intertek

Intergal

Simark Controls

MSCP

Noble Drilling

Pyramid

Tundra Controls

Westcana Electric Inc

Magna Electric

Schneider Electric

Syncrude

CNRL

Meg Energy

Devon Energy

Trotter and Morton

Canem

SNC LAVLIN

Black and MacDonald

Sancon

Santeck

Santec

Novous Tech Services

Kentech

Concept Group

Shell

Ledcor

Huskey

Aker Solutions

Pike Camp

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

IIRC Mate of mine could not find work with years of electrician experience behind him due to the incompatibility of his training etc maybe that 'red seal' referred to above. He had to change area to more engineering rather than electrician

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

Alberta is the heart of the Oil Sands. Loads of work atm.

If he has his Red Seal he will be fine. Other wise he will find it hard to get an Electrical Job.

Loads of work in the oil patch at the moment? Er no. Once Suncor Fort Hills is complete (it's planning for first oil in the next week or two) there'll be a huge amount of electricians (and other trades) looking for employment. It will be especially difficult to find work if you're on a work permit.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

el diablo wrote: »
    Loads of work in the oil patch at the moment? Er no. Once Suncor Fort Hills is complete (it's planning for first oil in the next week or two) there'll be a huge amount of electricians (and other trades) looking for employment. It will be especially difficult to find work if you're on a work permit.

Please use this link to find all the current projects in Alberta.

http://majorprojects.alberta.ca/#/?sector=Industrial,Oil-and-Gas,Power,Pipelines&type=Industrial_Agriculture,Industrial_Bioproduct,Industrial_Chemical,Industrial_Forestry,Industrial_Metals,Industrial_Other,Industrial_Research-Centre,Industrial_Telecommunication,Oil-and-Gas_Distribution/Storage,Oil-and-Gas_Gas,Oil-and-Gas_Oil-Sands:-In-Situ,Oil-and-Gas_Oil-Sands:-Mining,Oil-and-Gas_Upgrader,Power_Natural-Gas,Power_Solar,Power_Transmission-Line,Power_Wind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

PM me a resume, my company is thinking of hiring more Irish electricians. Permanent positions, paid application for PR, paid relocation expenses, benefits etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

Arcto wrote: »
    PM me a resume, my company is thinking of hiring more Irish electricians. Permanent positions, paid application for PR, paid relocation expenses, benefits etc.

Hello Arcto; where are you based in Canada?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Hello Arcto; where are you based in Canada?
    Sorry for the late reply, was not monitoring the thread. I am in Northern BC.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

Ok thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jeepcj

Where in Northern B.C, I'm originally from Fort St. John, lived in Chetwynd for a good few years as well

Advertisement