Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need good recommendation for Aerial & cable installer covering Greystones Delgany

• 15-07-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hello Folks,
    I would be very grateful if you could recommend a good & honest Aerial & cable installer who would cover the Greystones & Delgany area of North Wicklow. I'm tired of rouge Saorview installers & digital aerial stories.
    I have had a couple of chancers already banging on about Saorview Digital aerials & necessary special Saorview cables :-( I am a bit of an audiophile, but admitted no expert Re. aerials & installations, but I do know enough from you good people here, not to buy into the nonsense of "Digital aerial" stories & Saorview cables.

Recently we upgraded the living room & bedroom TVs to Saorview approved TV sets, but really I think we need to readjust & add onto the existing roof aerial, and possibly Sat dish & upgrade some of the 1970 coaxial cabling, as it may have been there since my little estate & house was built in in 1970.
    I live high up on the hills over looking Greystones & on a clear day Wales can be seen by eye. We are lucky to receive all the UK FreeView & HD channels by aerial from Wales, or should I say, we used to receive all the UK channels by aerial from Wales, but not any more. Even our aerial Saorview reception has gone so bad now that we can't watch TV at all now.

I would be very grateful if, from your own experience, some of you knowledgeable folks could recommend a honest reliable good Aerial & house Cable installer? Thank you.

As I said earlier I am no expert Re. this type of refit to receive Irish & UK HD TV channels, but I would imagine that it would consist of the following order; (please correct me?).
    1. Re-adjust, realign & add any required reception antenna sections onto the existing roof aerial, to receive full clear Terrestrial Saorview HD & UK FreeView HD from Wales.
    2. Fit Sat dish.
    3. Purchase good amplifier splitter for 4 to 5 rooms. I have no idea of the best type / model?
    The current need is;
    Room A. Kitchen - Dab radio aerial socket, FM radio aerial socket, TV aerial socket.
    Room B. Living room - FM radio aerial socket, TV aerial socket.
    Room C. Family room - FM radio aerial socket, TV aerial socket.
    Room D. Bedroom - FM radio aerial socket, TV aerial socket.

4. Run new RG7 or RG6 coaxial cables of (aerial feed) & (Sat dish feed) to a signal amplifier & room feed splitter?
    5. Run new RG7 or RG6 coaxial cables from attic signal amplifier splitter to 4 rooms, carrying HD Terrestrial Saorview, HD UK Terrestrial FreeView & HD UK FreeSat.
    6. Should I have ethernet cat 6 cabling run/installed now at the same time as the coaxial cables are refitted to the 4 / 5 main rooms for future proofing?

I hope not to have to do this again (25 years plus) & so I really would like to have it done right now. Am I leaving any items out or not considering other things? I just hope all of this type of work won't cost the price of another TV set, having only recently had to buy two. Oh and my home is an average 3 bed 1970 house size, would anyone know the average cost charged by an honest reliable good Aerial & Cable installer for this type of job?

Thank you for your help & advice folks, I am grateful.
    Kind regards, Pepsie

Monitors, Please feel free to move my post here if I have put it in the wrong section.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mcginncf

Hello Pepsie,,
    Did you ever manage to establish an installer to supply your extensive shopping list. Presumably you did now that we are post Saorview live date. I too have now discovered I need some further upgrades done.
    Many thanks, Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Pepsie

Hi Conor,
    Yes I did, after a lot of trial & error as well as a good few rip-off cowboy & even shoddy installers, I did manage to find a very good installer. Yes, my shopping list was extensive & exact, but I was in the lucky position of already knowing what I needed & with a good basic knowledge of electronics, cabling grades, pit falls, etc... I feel baldly for any unsuspecting elderly pensions who may have been taken for an expensive ride by some of the shoddy so called 'installers' that I came across.

I eventually found / was recommended to www.tvsolutions.ie (http://www.allsys.ie) and I found them to be; professional, highly knowledgeable, with fair costing & all in all an excellent service.
    I found the chap who owns tvsolutions.ie a knowledgeable Polish man, to be honest & a good old fashioned likable hard working chap, which was very refreshing after coming across many cowboys belonging to various so-called accredited associations.

I don't pay yearly subscriptions for SKY or any other cable TV services & now I am receiving all Irish & UK free-to-air television services perfectly, both over aerial & also some TV sets over satellite.

I wish you well with your upgrade & if you need any further advise, please feel free to pick my brains, perhaps PM me & I'll talk you through anything over the phone.

All my best,
    Pepsie (Delgany)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

Good to see that the installer you choose in the end is a member of the ISAA, one of the trade bodies reccommended by Saorview, and that you were happy with his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mcginncf

Just to follow up on Pepsie's testimonial of the Polish chap from www.tvsolutions.ie and report I had the very best of service and attention from him. He has excellent business manner and I'm delighted with the results. He did a thorough evaluation of my needs, ensured I understood what was to be done before quotation, and arrived on time to transform our house for the new digital age. Many thanks again, Conor (Delgany)

• Advertisement
Advertisement