Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics BSc or Applied Maths & Physics BSc?

Options
  • 15-07-2012 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone here had any thoughts on which of the following two degree options, at the same university, might have wider career options upon graduation? i.e. which would be most appealing to potential employers?

a) Physics BSc

b) Applied Mathematics and Physics BSc

Or would they most likely be regarded by employers as being as good as each other?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I'd say it makes almost no difference!

Choose which ever you like the most. And try to get the best result you can. These are the two most imporant things. Employers are usually less concerned about what you know than they about what you can learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I'd echo the above poster and say pick what you enjoy and think you would do well at. I have a BSc in Applied Maths and Stats and have to say it is a very well regarded discipline but I'd imagine Applied Maths and Physics would be the same. A good grade in either one would serve you very well.
    Also remember that it is possible to diversify at postgraduate level if you like. Physics and Maths are very closely related and many people move between them.

Advertisement