Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics BSc or Applied Maths & Physics BSc?

Options
  • 15-07-2012 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone here had any thoughts on which of the following two degree options, at the same university, might have wider career options upon graduation? i.e. which would be most appealing to potential employers?

a) Physics BSc

b) Applied Mathematics and Physics BSc

Or would they most likely be regarded by employers as being as good as each other?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Basically, from the second you start your degree you have to start working on making yourself more employable. Work placement in conjunction with the degree does that. So, which ever choice you make, you start looking for work placement for next summer straight away.

If you plan on becoming an academic. That's more about family and social connections. Join young Fine Gael, impregnate a well connected young woman and you will be set for life.

And it's the same for secondary school teaching. It's not what you know, it's who you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

^ ^ ^
    :confused::confused::confused:

Ahmmmm..moving along...

Not much of a difference in the two and career wise you'll pretty much be able to branch into the same career paths. So I wouldn't consider career here, I'd look at what the course content is for both courses and see which one has the content that you think will interest you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

would i be wrong to assume that the 2nd option would give you a slight advantage as its probably more math based and less experimental/practical than the 1st one

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭IRWolfie-

There are jobs for those who are more theoretical and more experimental (and in Ireland it tends to be the experimentalists that get the money). I wouldn't pick based on future employment, look at the modules and see what suites you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Smythe wrote: »
    i.e. which would be most appealing to potential employers?

Are you really going to go through 3-4 years based on the potential, possibly imagined, whims of a hypothetical authoritarian critic?

• Advertisement
Advertisement