Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recreational Activities

• 15-07-2012 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Anybody have any ideas what my friends and I could do to pass the time other than loitering around? We have already exhausted our knowledge of things to do and see so any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Is there free stuff in your town? Museums, galleries stuff like that.
    Is there a park? Play footie/basketball/whatever floats your boat.
    Are there clubs ye can join?
    Start up a project, build something, work up a zombie invasion evacuation plan for your town etc..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Geo-caching is great. All you need is a notebook and a phone with a compass/GPS app. It's a fun way to get to know cool spots around towns and villages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Geo-caching is great. All you need is a notebook and a phone with a compass/GPS app. It's a fun way to get to know cool spots around towns and villages.

Can you explain more about this IO?

Where do you live OP? Just to give us a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

flyswatter wrote: »
    Can you explain more about this IO?

My brother does this a bit. What happens is, people leave what you'd call drop boxes (small steel/wooden cases, OR TREASURE CHESTS) in what can sometimes be secluded or hidden locations, with little items inside along with a small notepad where the people who have found it sign their name. The person who left the box marks the spot with its GPS coordinates and puts it up online to a geo-caching forum etc. for others to see.

It's common practice to leave something in the box if you take something out, my brother usually just looks them up and signs his name for the fun of it, since most of the things inside are pretty Christmas-cracker-esque.

In built up areas like Dublin there's a lot of geo-caching, but it's popular all across Ireland.

/retainedknowledgefrombrothersraving

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

My brother does this a bit. What happens is, people leave what you'd call drop boxes (small steel/wooden cases, OR TREASURE CHESTS) in what can sometimes be secluded or hidden locations, with little items inside along with a small notepad where the people who have found it sign their name. The person who left the box marks the spot with its GPS coordinates and puts it up online to a geo-caching forum etc. for others to see.

It's common practice to leave something in the box if you take something out, my brother usually just looks them up and signs his name for the fun of it, since most of the things inside are pretty Christmas-cracker-esque.

In built up areas like Dublin there's a lot of geo-caching, but it's popular all across Ireland.

/retainedknowledgefrombrothersraving

This is so cool, I wish I had friends to try this out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Hurlin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

drinkin, shmokin, fightin

Advertisement