Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 controller with Mac

Options
  • 15-07-2012 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭

Has anybody successfully paired a PS3 controller over Bluetooth on a MacBook? I'm running Lion 10.7.4 and have had no luck. I've followed the steps that I've found on other sites.

1. Turn on Bluetooth.
    2. Connect PS3 controller via USB.
    3. Press and hold PS button for 3 secs and unplug
    4. Enter passcode to pair with MacBook

I can see in the Bluetooth devices that the PS3 controller is connected and I get a green light beside it. But it says that it is not paired and I keep getting presented with the screen to enter a passcode.

Any ideas?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Somecrimesitry

The setup sequence seems to have changed for Lion and there are extra steps required. I don't have a PS3 controller myself but these instructions were on MacRumors. So just delete the PS3 controller pairing from the Bluetooth Preferences window and start again by following this:

1) Make sure to have the bluetooth preference window open and turn on the PS3 controller (after USB sync if not done).

2) When the passkey comes up, type 0000.

3) Now look for the cog wheel down below the list of devices and open it. Choose update services. The controller should now show that it is now configured.

4) Then turn off bluetooth.

5) Turn it back on and press the PS3 on button to reconnect. It should not ask for a password. Then go to that cog wheel again and add the controller to favorites.

6) You should have no problems from now on as long you don't delete the controller form the bluetooth menu. You can even sync back and forth between the PS3 and mac without reconfiguring. Just plug in the USB to the device you want to connect to.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14920175&postcount=4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

The setup sequence seems to have changed for Lion and there are extra steps required. I don't have a PS3 controller myself but these instructions were on MacRumors. So just delete the PS3 controller pairing from the Bluetooth Preferences window and start again by following this:

1) Make sure to have the bluetooth preference window open and turn on the PS3 controller (after USB sync if not done).

2) When the passkey comes up, type 0000.

3) Now look for the cog wheel down below the list of devices and open it. Choose update services. The controller should now show that it is now configured.

4) Then turn off bluetooth.

5) Turn it back on and press the PS3 on button to reconnect. It should not ask for a password. Then go to that cog wheel again and add the controller to favorites.

6) You should have no problems from now on as long you don't delete the controller form the bluetooth menu. You can even sync back and forth between the PS3 and mac without reconfiguring. Just plug in the USB to the device you want to connect to.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14920175&postcount=4

I came across that information as well after I posted here but it didn't work for me. After I clicked the update service I don't get prompted anymore for a pass key.

Is it possible to use the PS3 controller via USB?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Somecrimesitry

I don't know I haven't got a PS3 but it looks like some instructions for setting up via bluetooth involve extra steps where you have to plug the USB in and out during the setup process. It also looks like there are some timing issues as well where if you wait too long at one of the later steps the Mac will kick off a new pairing request which messes things up.

I'd set this video to 720p and the playback speed down to 0.25x so you can follow along with it. He's using a Mac set to Italian but the subtitles are English and you can still see what he's clicking on...oh and mute it too unless you want to go demented:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tEiiveuhRA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I don't know I haven't got a PS3 but it looks like some instructions for setting up via bluetooth involve extra steps where you have to plug the USB in and out during the setup process. It also looks like there are some timing issues as well where if you wait too long at one of the later steps the Mac will kick off a new pairing request which messes things up.

I'd set this video to 720p and the playback speed down to 0.25x so you can follow along with it. He's using a Mac set to Italian but the subtitles are English and you can still see what he's clicking on...oh and mute it too unless you want to go demented:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tEiiveuhRA

I tried following this video yesterday but it didn't work for me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Weird. I just plugged mine in once and then it works without the cable via Bluetooth. I'm on lion as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement