Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ABG blood test Can't stand it

Options
  • 15-07-2012 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys Just a quick note, i suffer with Asthma and have a few recent attacks along with chest infections. so there are times when my breathing is bad and my doc isnt available and i go the a&e dept of local hospital where they always insist on doing this ABG blood test, where they have to go deep into artery in you wrist or in your groin and the pain of it is unreal. I personally dont think its nessacery as they always give you a prescription for antibiotics and steroids

Anyone have had simlar probs with this

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

I've had to have them done a few times and agree they are very painful! They give the doctors valuable information on the amount of oxygen in your blood and the PH of your blood. This information is important to tell them the type of respiratory distress your in and how to treat it.
    Its horrible but its for your own good.

Advertisement