Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killaloe/Ballina. Rent Allowence.

Options
  • 14-07-2012 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭

My daughter is looking for somewhere to rent with her partner.
    They're expecting their first baby and want to start nesting :)

But here lies the problem..nobody seems to accept rent allowence.
    We've been checking Daft.ie etc every day and nothing!! (well there is one house that looks like it was last lived in about 1972 :()

They are on the council list but they simply dont have houses to offer.
    Does anyone know of any rentals that will accept RA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Chucken, have you spoken to the local auctioneers - Harry Brann & Clare/Tipp Properties to see if they have landlords on their books who accept rent allowance? There seems to be lots of vacant properties in Ballina in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

We've trawled the websites but no luck.
    I suppose calling into them might bring some luck.

I'm just thinking about everyone else in the same boat, at least my daughter has a home here as long as needs be, but she needs her own space too.
    Something has to be done! I know the last phase of council houses were only built in 2009 so I cant see them building more anytime soon.

She should pop into Colette Hanly (Clare/Tipp) or John Phelan (Harry Brann) and have a chat with them. I've always found them nice to deal with.

Would your daughter consider getting in touch with a local representative to see what her chances are of getting a house from the Council in the future?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Hi,

I was always under the impression that the individual got the rent allowance and passed it onto the landlord, I'd recommend asking in the State Benefits section on here to see what can be done

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

The truth is like this -

Most of the places listed on Daft and even in the local paper that say NO RENT ALLOWANCE, actually accept rent allowance. The last three places I rented while on RA were listed on Daft as NO RENT ALLOWANCE ACCEPTED. You will find it is a safety measure to keep certain types of people out of the landlords property. If you contact them via email on the ad, explain your situation and tell them a bit about who you are, your family, etc. normally they will normally set up a viewing where you can meet them face to face and they will normally allow it. Just make sure to send a descriptive first email and tell them about yourself/family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Clareman wrote: »
    Hi,

I was always under the impression that the individual got the rent allowance and passed it onto the landlord, I'd recommend asking in the State Benefits section on here to see what can be done

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861

That is true HOWEVER before you can get the payment yourself the landlord has to complete a form which you get from the formerly HSE now CWO who handles your area. There are three parts to this form and the second part has to be completed by the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Chucken,
    Get onto Tony O'Brien, Pascal Fitzgerald, Begley and all local councillors. Elections are not too far away. I bet one of them can do something for you

Thanks everyone for your replies.

The update! My daughter just went to the estate agents..still no joy!
    The landlords simply wont accept rent allowence.

We went down the route of just putting it out there that they're looking for somewhere so you'd never know, someone might know someone who's willing to take it.

With regards to the Council, they just dont have any houses to let at the moment.

I never thought we'd have to go down the route of begging council reps but if thats the way the game is played, we'll just have to do it.

I wonder if they'd buy up a few empty properties and let them out?

I genuinely thought houses were givin out on merit...thats not the case is it?

*sigh*

Chucken, I hope things work out for your daughter :)

Here is a link with contact details for Councillors in the Killaloe Electoral Area, I hope it is of some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Try BOC
    http://www.bocproperties.ie/

Is an estate agent but some of these will available to rent, give the office a call

Chucken wrote: »
    If thats the way the game is played, we'll just have to do it.

Squeaky wheel gets the attention, make yourself know to your reps

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Try BOC
    http://www.bocproperties.ie/

Is an estate agent but some of these will available to rent, give the office a call

Squeaky wheel gets the attention, make yourself know to your reps

You calling me me squeaky? :p I can be squeaky when needs be :D

Lads, the story gets better.
    The RA for here for the 2 of them is capped at 380. I presumed if they found somewhere say for 500, they could make up the shortfall. NO! They can only rent a house that costs 380 A MONTH..in Killaloe/Ballina!!???
    What planet are our officials on I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Yes, 380 for a couple with no children

But 450 for a couple with one child

With a child on the way surely their application should be approved for 450. I would think so anyway

They are of course welcome on the right side of the Shannon :cool: but rates are lower in Tipp North so may be harder to find accomadation

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Yes, 380 for a couple with no children

But 450 for a couple with one child

With a child on the way surely their application should be approved for 450. I would think so anyway

They are of course welcome on the right side of the Shannon :cool: but rates are lower in Tipp North so may be harder to find accomadation

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

They'd only get the 380 limit until baba actually arrives.

:confused: We are on the right side of the bridge :p
    The thoughts of my 1st grandchild being born in Limerick and living in Tipp....

Ohhhhhhhhhh :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

killwill wrote: »
    Chucken,
    Get onto Tony O'Brien, Pascal Fitzgerald, Begley and all local councillors. Elections are not too far away. I bet one of them can do something for you

O'Brien is not a councillor any longer , Joe Cooney would get more done in 10 minutes than the rest of them combined in 12 months.

snowman707 wrote: »
    O'Brien is not a councillor any longer , Joe Cooney would get more done in 10 minutes than the rest of them combined in 12 months.

Well may be the case..I dont know!
    The point is, there are no council houses to let.
    The cap for RA is ridiculous for the area, there are no houses/flats at that price.
    If a place could be found at that price, the landlords aren't accepting RA.

Rock V Hard Place

I never said Tony O'Brien was a councillor, he still has contacts and is quite active in the community.
    I don't want to derail the thread but he is great to deal with. Dismissing all the other like that is pure ignorance. Why do you think EVERY councillor bar Joe is useless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

killwill wrote: »
    Why do you think EVERY councillor bar Joe is useless?

Personal experience.

<mod snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Drop the Ball

They'd only get the 380 limit until baba actually arrives.

:confused: We are on the right side of the bridge :p
    The thoughts of my 1st grandchild being born in Limerick and living in Tipp....

Ohhhhhhhhhh :pac::pac::pac:

What is wrong with your grandchild living in Tipp???

Maybe you should have just narrowed down your search to Killaloe to start with, instead of Killaloe and Ballina.

Personal experience.

<mod snip>

Just for the record. I have no relations working as a County Councillor nor ever have.
    You must be a busy guy to have personal experiences with EVERY councillor!!! lol

What is wrong with your grandchild living in Tipp???

Maybe you should have just narrowed down your search to Killaloe to start with, instead of Killaloe and Ballina.

If I have to explain about the friendly rivalry it'll ruin the fun ;)

No need to take it so seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

I'll probably get shot down for this but here goes....!

My husband, myself and our daughter spent the second year of her life living with my husband's folks (3 of us in one room) it was tough all round especially for them but when we could afford our own place we moved out!

Claregirl wrote: »
    I'll probably get shot down for this but here goes....!

My husband, myself and our daughter spent the second year of her life living with my husband's folks (3 of us in one room) it was tough all round especially for them but when we could afford our own place we moved out!

I dont get your point :confused:
    If they were able to afford to go it alone they wouldnt need RA.
    As it is there are 4 adults and a child living here in a 3 bedroom house.
    The health board frowns on over crowding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cathalcrowe

I'm one of the local Councillors for the Killaloe area. If I can be of assistance please feel free to give me a call.

Regards, Cathal Crowe.
    Tel: 0871368882
    Email: cathalcrowe@yahoo.ie
    Find me on Facebook / Twitter

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Welcome to boards Cathal, as you are using a username which is also your name and you're a public figure, can you please drop a line to hello@boards.ie to confirm your identity please, we do this to ensure that people don't sign up pretending to be people they are not.

Thanks.

Clareman wrote: »
    Welcome to boards Cathal, as you are using a username which is also your name and you're a public figure, can you please drop a line to hello@boards.ie to confirm your identity please, we do this to ensure that people don't sign up pretending to be people they are not.

Thanks.

Just did that, thank you. Am new to Boards.ie

I'm one of the local Councillors for the Killaloe area. If I can be of assistance please feel free to give me a call.

Regards, Cathal Crowe.

Calling you there now Cathal, thanks :)

Regards, Cathal Crowe.
    Welcome to Boards, Cathal :)

MrsD007 wrote: »

Regards, Cathal Crowe.
    Welcome to Boards, Cathal :)

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

We've trawled the websites but no luck.
    I suppose calling into them might bring some luck.

I'm just thinking about everyone else in the same boat, at least my daughter has a home here as long as needs be, but she needs her own space too.
    Something has to be done! I know the last phase of council houses were only built in 2009 so I cant see them building more anytime soon.

why does something have to be done? are either working or should we have a church gate collection? at least i now know where my tax dollars are going!

• Advertisement

If you can't be civil, please don't bother posting.

Pilate 1 - You're on a week's holidays from the Clare Forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement