Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Recording at Home!!

Options
  • 14-07-2012 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi all!

I volunteer at a local community radio station. I have now moved away from the local community but I still continue to do the show once a week.I enjoy doing it but it costs me to do it. I am an hour away from the studio and an hour home and with the cost of petrol and not getting paid to do the show it doesnt make sense.
    Any ideas on howI could possibly record the show from home using my laptop and some recording software. I know the radio uses Cool Edit so maybe I could download that to my laptop. The show is primilarily playing CDs and a bit of chat.

Any advice?Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

What software you will need will depend on how you want to put the show together.
    If you want to record it "as live" then any simple wave editor will do such as Audacity which is free. The downside is that you will need a small mixer, CD players and the mic. Plug into the line in on the laptop and just record the show and you will be able to edit out any glitches after.

Otherwise you could record all your links first and lay them down, as separate files, on one track in Cooledit.
    Then copy all the music over onto the next 2 tracks and mix everything down to one file.
    That assuming you're confident with using Cooledit.
    You might need a licence code in order to use Cooledit on your laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Audacity is a good starting point.. it's very easy to use, and to put multiple recordings down on to one MP3.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

You wouldn't even need a mixer if you were using Audacity. Just record your links, mix in the music, ads, etc using audacity's features (which are pretty decent) and export as an .mp3. Email to station and boom.

Only problem here is that you'll need a decent mic and a fairly soundproofed room. I can't imagine the station being too happy if they have a top quality sound for the majority of shows, but then yours comes on and it sounds like you're recording in a cave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Only problem here is that you'll need a decent mic and a fairly soundproofed room. I can't imagine the station being too happy if they have a top quality sound for the majority of shows, but then yours comes on and it sounds like you're recording in a cave.

The soundcard on the laptop wouldn't be great either. The USB audio interfaces are usually great quality, something like the m audio ones. If you were recording "as live" you would probably need a small mixer too.

If cost is the reason you prefer to keep out of studio, you probably don't want to spend a load of money on this stuff. You would be surprised how cheaply you can get some good quality things used on ebay or adverts.

Advertisement